iMac's updated in October?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

I noticed that it seems the next big event after the "Pro-centric" WWDC is Mac Expo in Europe.

http://www.mac-expo.co.uk/Home.html

Does anyone think the new iMac's will be updated before that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    All five machines will be updated in or around WWDC. The iMac timeable will depend on if it uses Merom or Conroe, but that should be couple of weeks at best.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, sir, Apple Expo is first; September 12 to 16.

The iMac G5 was originally introduced at Apple Expo 2004, so I suppose it's possible we'll see the update there.

But, I would guess it'll be more of a speedbump and not considered event-worthy.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

All five machines will be updated in or around WWDC.

That would be an Apple first. There's no background at all to that assertion.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

That would be an Apple first. There's no background at all to that assertion.

They can hang back. I'm sure Dell wouldn't mind.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

They can hang back. I'm sure Dell wouldn't mind.

The "hung back" early this year, too. They could have introduced the MacBook, 17-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini all in January, all shipping early March. They didn't. Nor did they have to.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Yeah.. I forgot about the Paris Expo in mid September.

That's probably the event for the iMac, given it's been the event for iMac upgrades in the past.

Apple's entire lineup will almost definitely not be entirely upgraded around WWDC. Apple has always staged their updates so as not to drown out one product from another. By mid september the Mac Pro will probably have had enough media exposure to warrant Apple shifting its focus to the consumer rush up to christmas...
  • Reply 7 of 32
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

The "hung back" early this year, too. They could have introduced the MacBook, 17-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini all in January, all shipping early March. They didn't. Nor did they have to.

That is questionable, they need the chips to put in them to sell them. If their supply of the chips would not fill the needs for each product then it would be best to hold some of them back untill they have the chips to fill the expected demand for the products. The iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book, and Mac Book Pro all use the same chips, and there is overlap in most of these lines for the Yonah chips at a given speed, so it is likely that Apple did not have the supply available to fill the demand for each product line so held a few back untill supply was sufficient to meet the demand. The next stage will be slightly different becouse Apple will have more chip lines to choose from to put in their various products, thus differentiating them more and ensureing that there is less of a supply issue for each product. Mac Book and Mini will likely stay with the Yonah chip, though they could see speed bumps as the higher speed Yonah's are no longer used in the updated iMacs and Mac Book Pro's. My guess is that these two computers will use different chips, and the Mac Pro's will use the third so that Apple's product line uses all 4 of Intel's "Core" generation chips.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

That is questionable, they need the chips to put in them to sell them. If their supply of the chips would not fill the needs for each product then it would be best to hold some of them back untill they have the chips to fill the expected demand for the products. The iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book, and Mac Book Pro all use the same chips, and there is overlap in most of these lines for the Yonah chips at a given speed, so it is likely that Apple did not have the supply available to fill the demand for each product line so held a few back untill supply was sufficient to meet the demand. The next stage will be slightly different becouse Apple will have more chip lines to choose from to put in their various products, thus differentiating them more and ensureing that there is less of a supply issue for each product. Mac Book and Mini will likely stay with the Yonah chip, though they could see speed bumps as the higher speed Yonah's are no longer used in the updated iMacs and Mac Book Pro's. My guess is that these two computers will use different chips, and the Mac Pro's will use the third so that Apple's product line uses all 4 of Intel's "Core" generation chips.

I knew someone would bring that up

But I don't think limited chip supply was the only reason for Apple not to delay all products at once (or in a more condensed timeframe). No, I think Apple wanted to give every single product its own exposure time. January saw articles previewing the iMac and MacBook Pro, March saw reviews actually using them, and so on. Apple likes to keep their product lineup simple because 1) it avoids customer confusion, and 2) it allows for focus on the few specific models.

Upgrading all Intel Macs to Core 2 within a time frame of two months or less makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    There is another business angle here as well. During the transition, there has been a slow down or stall for several Mac products. To manage the financial numbers better, to meet/exceed Wall Street expectations, it is advantageous to introduce products gradually.

I am very curious about the last quarter. There was reported iPod sales slow down but the profit margins probably also went up as the cost of components (specially Flash) went down. On the Mac side, the MB seems to have been a big hit but the PowerMac and the Server sales have to be close to a halt. Also the Edu promotions should help with the unit sales numbers if not with profits.

This quarter Nike+ should give a boost to the Music business sales. Hopefully we will also see a new iPod announced (hopefully Nano) towards latter part of the quarter. There is probably a good pent up demand for it. On the Mac side, introduction of the Mac Pro, and upgrades to some existing Intel Macs (most likely iMac with Conroe) should happen. The Mac XServes will probably not happen, at least not early in the quarter.

The December quarter should be a good one with introduction of another iPod early in the quarter. Here we will see the Enterprise product line announced. Lot of Enterprise spending happens in the last calendar quarter. I would like to see Apple do a separate targeted event where they introduce the XServe and upgraded XRAID etc. Apple should move over to a blade architecture as it seems to be the future trend. There is room for a lot of creativity here. The MBPs and possibly Minis will get upgraded with Meroms.

With the transition complete Apple will hopefully go aggressively (on all cylinders) after bigger Market shares in existing markets and some newer ones like integration of TV and Phones with computing etc etc ...
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

I knew someone would bring that up

But I don't think limited chip supply was the only reason for Apple not to delay all products at once (or in a more condensed timeframe). No, I think Apple wanted to give every single product its own exposure time. January saw articles previewing the iMac and MacBook Pro, March saw reviews actually using them, and so on. Apple likes to keep their product lineup simple because 1) it avoids customer confusion, and 2) it allows for focus on the few specific models.

Upgrading all Intel Macs to Core 2 within a time frame of two months or less makes no sense to me.

If they were doing it only for increasing exposure for each individual product then there would have been no reason to hold out on the 17" Mac Book Pro. Also the long delay for the Mac Book probably didn't need to be as long if they were trying to maximize the exposre in the press of the new Mac models. A better roll out would have been to release the iMac and MacBook Pro in January, the Mac Book in February, and the MacMini in March. This would have been maximum press exposure for Apple's hardware for 4 months, and more in line with roll outs that they have done in the past.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

If they were doing it only

I never stated that was the only reason. Yours was another.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

I never stated that was the only reason. Yours was another.

Agreed. The iMac and Mac Book Pro's were also a "shakedown cruise" for the intel line. It allowed Apple to see what kind of problems to expect with both hardware and software without having too many products that might need recalls or have other problems that could be better foreseen with some real world testing of the first few products. Swami also points out a number of good reasons, and predictions on future releases. Though I think that the target release for enterprise oriented products is probably late, the research for the new purchases and paperwork to get them done is started a lot earlier than the actual purchase, if the release were early in the 4th quarter I could see it, but it would be better by the end of the 3rd quarter. Also iMacs and/or MacBooks should be out by mid-August for the back to school purchases.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The next major update to the iMac will be in January at Macworld '07. There will be the addition of a black model.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    There you go folks!

Close the thread.. We've finally got the answer we've all been looking for.

Ireland.. Prove it. You can't just come on here and say this is how it is and not explain how you've come to that conclusion. You honestly believe Apple is going to go a whole year without updating it's signature Mac?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    adezeroadezero Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

The next major update to the iMac will be in January at Macworld '07. There will be the addition of a black model.

does refresh really take a year? i don't think so
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

The Conroe chip will be in an Apple product before January. There is too much press around the wonders of this chip. It is a desktop chip. It will not be in a portable. It isn't likely to be in a Mac mini as this is essentially a repackaged portable. So pick a desktop,

1. 'Mac Pro' has to have at least one version with Woodcrest to get 4 cores. Low end 'Mac Pro'?

2. iMac? or headless iMac or some variant between a Mac Pro and an iMac.

The Mac mini has already broken the symmetry of the four lines. i and Pro. Maybe it is time for a 'Pro Mac mini' (and using the LV Yonah parts we can even dream of a MacBook mini followed by a Pro MacBook mini etc. etc. etc. etc.)
  • Reply 17 of 32
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Maybe Apple will offer two lines finally; one with Conroe for the mid-level and one for the Mac Pro. I think that the Conroe is headed for the iMac.

Edit: Oh by the way, I think the iMac update is coming soon.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I think it will be soon too.. I'm betting mid September now, but we'll see.

I'm really excited about the possibility of having a Conroe chip inside an iMac! From the sounds of things, the Mac Pro's are going to rock, but I think the iMac's are going to pack a fair bit of power too. Should be awesome!

The screen on my PowerBook is starting to go, so I'm hoping for new iMac's sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

Ireland.. Prove it. You can't just come on here and say this is how it is and not explain how you've come to that conclusion.

Get some sense of humor. And try to feel what the others say. Ireland's statement to me looks like a wishful thinking based estimation.

Quote:

You honestly believe Apple is going to go a whole year without updating it's signature Mac?

He talks about major update. In the meantime there would be a routine, minor one.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Maybe Apple will offer two lines finally; one with Conroe for the mid-level and one for the Mac Pro. I think that the Conroe is headed for the iMac.

Edit: Oh by the way, I think the iMac update is coming soon.

If they take out the PSU or if they introduce a 23" model then yes, a Conroe iMac is possible. Otherwise, I don't think that the iMac in the 17"-20" form factor would handle well the heat without raising the noise to annoying levels. And as Apple for the last (many) years miniaturize more and more their computers, a trend that does not seem to change, don't expect a Conroe iMac if they let it as is now (that is with the internal PSU and only 17" and 20" models). In this case look for Merom based iMac on Apple Expo.