Problems with an AeroPad Mini

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone out there have any experience using an AeroPad Mini WUA-800 wireless Ethernet Adapter? Here is my current situation.

My sister has a wireless network set up at my parents house. She uses a PC while my folks use an older Mac (a Graphite G4 running 10.4). I purchased the AeroPad Mini so that they would be able to be able to connect to my sister's wireless network. I set up the basic settings for the device which was much like setting up a router. Even though everything is set up correctly I can't receive a signal.

My sister brought her laptop to the room where my folks have their computer and she is able to get online just fine sitting at the same desk where they have their Mac. So I know that the signal is strong enough to reach their Mac but for reasons unknown I can't get online with the Mac. I attached the AeroPad Mini to her PC and it works fine but will not work with the Mac.

I searched the company that makes the AeroPad Mini to see if there is a Firmware update but there wasn't. Their customer so far has been pretty bad and if I can't get a solution sometime I want to return it and get something that works. If anyone has any solutions or any recommendations for another product that will allow me to get my folk's older G4 to connect to a wireless network.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

Anyone out there have any experience using an AeroPad Mini WUA-800 wireless Ethernet Adapter? Here is my current situation.

My sister has a wireless network set up at my parents house. She uses a PC while my folks use an older Mac (a Graphite G4 running 10.4). I purchased the AeroPad Mini so that they would be able to be able to connect to my sister's wireless network. I set up the basic settings for the device which was much like setting up a router. Even though everything is set up correctly I can't receive a signal.

My sister brought her laptop to the room where my folks have their computer and she is able to get online just fine sitting at the same desk where they have their Mac. So I know that the signal is strong enough to reach their Mac but for reasons unknown I can't get online with the Mac. I attached the AeroPad Mini to her PC and it works fine but will not work with the Mac.

I searched the company that makes the AeroPad Mini to see if there is a Firmware update but there wasn't. Their customer so far has been pretty bad and if I can't get a solution sometime I want to return it and get something that works. If anyone has any solutions or any recommendations for another product that will allow me to get my folk's older G4 to connect to a wireless network.

Thanks in advance

Your problem will be setup.

Cable check: Make sure you use the usb port on the back of your mac, not a hub keyboard, as this device will need the juice.

Otherwise carefully go through section 4 of the manual. If you get stuck, tell us where. It doesn't just plug and play.

http://www.macsense.com/support/manu...800-Manual.pdf
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Tag Me Back,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the USB cable plugged into a self powered hub so that isn't the problem. I can access the AeroPad Mini's Basic configuration pages and I have everything set up according to how my sister has the wireless network set up.

What I'm having trouble with is the fact that my sister has the Wireless Router set to broadcast on Channel 11. When I set the channel in the basic configurations it will change to something other than 11. I don't know if this is the problem or not. There is a "site survey" option and only once have I been able to get it to pick up the network and then shortly after that it dropped it. Like I mentioned before I know the signal is strong enough because my sister's laptop gets a signal where the Mini is at.

I have tried both "infrastructure" and "ad-hoc" but both of them change the channel randomly. I thought that infrastructure is the setting that I want but it didn't work and so I tried ad-hoc with no luck.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    After messing with this stupid AeroPad Mini I am calling it quits. I have worked with it and worked with it and still I can't get it to work. I have tried so many times to get some info out of their super lame support staff with no luck. I am going to return it and get something that actually works.

I can't say enough about how disappointed I was in Macsense, the company that makes the AeroPad Mini. I would strongly discourage anyone from buying their products.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I was finally able to fix my connection problem when I happened to find a post about a problem with the Aero Pad Mini.

When using "site survey" in setting up the Aero Pad mini and clicking on the name of your network, the Aero Pad Mini automatically puts the name in the center of the field (what a stupid design). This creates several blank spaces before the actual name. It is important to delete these blank spaces otherwise the network cannot be recognized.

Also after you are done setting up the Aero Mini and hitting apply. While the Aero Pad Mini restarts (countdown) go to your Network preferences and under the TCP/IP change the "configure IPv4" to "using DHCP"

Check link for further details:

http://macsense.wikidot.com/wua-800-801-aeropad-mini