RIP 60GB 5G: 12/26/05 to 7/18/06

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all

My 5G iPod has died under warranty. I was on a plane to FL, watching a ripped movie or two when it froze. It restarted, then froze again. Then I finally got it back up to look at some photos...they got corrupted and it then displayed the folder with an exclamation point.

I tried restarting, restoring, charging, disk mode, everything. Finally I took it to Apple KOP this morning. Guess what? They pronounced it dead and gave me another one. It was just the pod...no accessories. They also couldn't assure me as to whether it was new or refurbed, but it is certainly like new. One snag was that when I got it home, I realized it was a Windows pod. So, I had to set it up via Restore. Now my stuff is transferred and I'm good to go! I must say...a totally hassle free retail experience! However, I have to give Apple some shit. I tried to ship it back instead of bringing it in, but the site was screwed up. And, they wanted to cahrge me a $29.95 "shipping and handling fee" sinxe it was more than 6 months old. That doesn't seem right to me, but whatever. I have a new, or like new pod. And it cost me zippo....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

One snag was that when I got it home, I realized it was a Windows pod.

I'm fairly certain that all iPods are formatted for Windows use when new. Since OSX can read and write to a FAT32 drive it's probably to reduce confusion for Windows users.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I'm fairly certain that all iPods are formatted for Windows use when new. Since OSX can read and write to a FAT32 drive it's probably to reduce confusion for Windows users.

I don't think so. My last one wasn't like this.