Apple Store Using Mac the Ripper!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nope, not kidding. I really couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

I was having my 5th gen iPod replaced under warranty, sitting at the Genius Bar in the Apple King of Prussia (PA) store. As I was waiting, I saw one of the Macbooks actually, a powerbook) running a familiar app. Then I realized it. They were using MTR to rip a DVD...right out in the open. I couldn't see what it was. It may not have been protected...but still. MTR openly claims (and I've

*heard* <wink>) succeeds circumvention of copy protection. Probably not a good idea for them to be using it. Come to think of it, there is no reason for them to be. Other apps can easily transfer to contents to a hard drive. WTF is going on here? Did I just catch an Apple Store with it's pants down?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Nope, not kidding. I really couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

I was having my 5th gen iPod replaced under warranty, sitting at the Genius Bar in the Apple King of Prussia (PA) store. As I was waiting, I saw one of the Macbooks actually, a powerbook) running a familiar app. Then I realized it. They were using MTR to rip a DVD...right out in the open. I couldn't see what it was. It may not have been protected...but still. MTR openly claims (and I've

*heard* <wink>) succeeds circumvention of copy protection. Probably not a good idea for them to be using it. Come to think of it, there is no reason for them to be. Other apps can easily transfer to contents to a hard drive. WTF is going on here? Did I just catch an Apple Store with it's pants down?

Was this a computer any ol' customer had access to?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

How did you recognize the app, you must have used it before
  • Reply 3 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I was having my 5th gen iPod replaced under warranty, sitting at the Genius Bar in the Apple King of Prussia (PA) store. As I was waiting, I saw one of the Macbooks actually, a powerbook) running a familiar app. Then I realized it. They were using MTR to rip a DVD...right out in the open.

If you can rip CDs to your music player under fair use (even those with copy protection), then you can do the same thing with DVD and a video player...What we need is a giant throw-down in court, there is some case law that supports media shifting, like records->tapes->CDs or VHS->DVD

I would do it in public, hell, I would do it in the MPAA HQs lobby...let 'em sue me...I am putting a DVD I BOUGHT on a device I bought so I can watch it; the EFF would represent me in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I would do it in public, hell, I would do it in the MPAA HQs lobby...let 'em sue me...I am putting a DVD I BOUGHT on a device I bought so I can watch it; the EFF would represent me in a heartbeat.

If you want a plane ticket to get the ball rolling let us know...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

How did you recognize the app, you must have used it before

I invoke my 5th amendment rights.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you can rip CDs to your music player under fair use (even those with copy protection), then you can do the same thing with DVD and a video player...What we need is a giant throw-down in court, there is some case law that supports media shifting, like records->tapes->CDs or VHS->DVD

Oh, I agree..don't get me wrong. But Apple could be risking a lot by allowing that to go on.

To answer another question, this was one of Apple's Genius Bar books, not a public machine. The App looked to be running at the time. I couldn't see what it was ripping.