Peter Oppenheimer drops MAJOR "iPhone" hint

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just listening to Apple's investor conference call, in which someone asked Peter about the success of the Sony Ericsson Walkman mobile phones.

He said something along the lines of

"We believe that the current mobile phones don't make the best mp3 players ... but in the future that may well change. We are certainly not sitting around doing nothing."

What do you think? Is this "iPhone ... CONFIRMED!!!"?

Would you be interested in an iPhone? Do you think other people would be? I would.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    iPodOS for cellphones to be licensed out to 3rd parties.

• Reply 2 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

iPodOS for cellphones to be licensed out to 3rd parties.

I think we'll see an iPod phone before this happens.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Mr. H, you noticed too.

I just posted this post in General discussions:

Gene Munster asked Peter Opinhimer something like this "When you sit back and look at the success that Sony is having with the Walkman cellphone, what do you think?

Opinhimer replied "In terms of mp3 players we don't think any phones on the market today are as good music palyers as the iPod, we think the iPod is the best music player. In terms of cellphones, you can rest assured that we are not sitting back....bla bla bla

Basically in my words, the iPhone is a comin'..

Finally I will be able to get rid of my "shit" razr.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    In related news, Peter Oppenheimer was discovered dead in Steve Jobs' office. It is being called a "suicide"...
  • Reply 5 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

In related news, Peter Oppenheimer was discovered dead in Steve Jobs' office. It is being called a "suicide"...

Jokes aside he wouldn't have said that unless he was meant to

..they always plant seeds.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Just listening to Apple's investor conference call, in which someone asked Peter about the success of the Sony Ericsson Walkman mobile phones.

He said something along the lines of

"We believe that the current mobile phones don't make the best mp3 players ... but in the future that may well change. We are certainly not sitting around doing nothing."

What do you think? Is this "iPhone ... CONFIRMED!!!"?

Would you be interested in an iPhone? Do you think other people would be? I would.

I think it's more likely that they're pointing out that they're seriously evaluating the competition, not merely waving it away.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdcfsu

I think we'll see an iPod phone before this happens.

There is no before.

Or we'll see an iPhone.

Or we'll see an iPod OS licensing scheme.

Never, ever, make your own product the one you have to fight against for marketshare.

The only way we might see an iPhone before an iPod OS licensing scheme is when it fails.

my 2 ¢.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

There is no before.

Or we'll see an iPhone.

Or we'll see an iPod OS licensing scheme.

Never, ever, make your own product the one you have to fight against for marketshare.

The only way we might see an iPhone before an iPod OS licensing scheme is when it fails.

my 2 ¢.

This makes sense except that design is such a big feature in mobile phones and is expertise that Apple brings to the table. Look at the moto RoKR phone, not a good product IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

This makes sense except that design is such a big feature in mobile phones and is expertise that Apple brings to the table. Look at the moto RoKR phone, not a good product IMO.

That might have been a diliberate flop - Apple doesn't really like Motorola (G4, anyone?), and it could have been Apple "testing the water" to see what the "music on phones" market looks like.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    No iPhone.

Bluetooth GSM / UMTS iPod accessory using the sync'd address book to dial from.

Hypothetically.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

No iPhone.

Bluetooth GSM / UMTS iPod accessory using the sync'd address book to dial from.

Hypothetically.

bollox
  • Reply 12 of 111
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have no idea, but I don't want to switch from alltel, and Apple will probably have an exclusive deal with one service provider. (with my luck) I would prefer a phone to be more like the razor in which it can be used on multiple networks if they did have one.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    I've heard a lot of people say adding phone capabilities to an iPod, or in the same vein adding a phone accessory to the iPod, is the route that Apple will take.

I think just the opposite. I believe Apple will add an iPod AS an accessory to a phone. Probably amounting to a new version of the Shuffle. If you want to add music capabilities to your Apple phone just plug in the Shuffle. Of course with today's miniaturization, it will be smaller than the first Shuffle and hold just as much or more and take on a new shape that might be complementing to some sort of new Apple iPhone.

Anyway, that's just my theory.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    Here's my theory, it's more straight forward: Apple trademarks Mobile Me, Apple brings out iPhone, Apple brings out iChat 4.0 with VoiP, and like iTunes, does a Windows version. Think of the possibilities! I firmly believe that Apple is working on an iPhone, but if for some unknown unreal reason they're not, I think that would be the dumbest move in Apple's history. Simply put, it doesn't make sense for them not to do it.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I bet they come out with a GSM version that works with all GSM carriers. They sell it unlocked on their web site and in their stores. Simply but it and a SIM card for your favorite carrier and you're set to go.

This way apple can charge full price for the phone ($300-400 I'm guessing) and make it compatible with the most carriers.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I bet they come out with a GSM version that works with all GSM carriers. They sell it unlocked on their web site and in their stores. Simply but it and a SIM card for your favorite carrier and you're set to go.

This way apple can charge full price for the phone ($300-400 I'm guessing) and make it compatible with the most carriers.

That would make the most sense. More so then selling the OS to third parties. It's more along the lines of the Apple way of doing things.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    Quote:

Or how about they become a MVNO, and do it under their own brand. I'd be very surprised if they don't go it alone. Need I remind you about Mobile Me (read the last paragraph)
  • Reply 18 of 111
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Apple tried the 3rd party thing with Moto, and it sucked. Steve basically has said that they will take on hardware markets where they can bring something to that market that is lacking and has been done "Wrong" in the past. This is one area that they tried working with a 3rd party for a solution, and the market is still lacking in quality. Apple could definatly bring a better UI and "Music" integration than what is out there so this fits the type of hardware that Steve wants to address with future products. Taco's idea of how they could sell it independantly of the carriers sounds good, as long as you can get those SIM cards for it (I don't know, neadrathol that I am I don't have a cell phone and don't remember the one I had a few years ago from Sprint having one. I assume that you buy these from the carrier?)
  • Reply 19 of 111
    Here's how the last paragraph in the Mobile Me trademark by Apple reads:

"Telecommunication services; electronic transmission and retrieval of data, images, audio, video and documents, including text, cards, letters, messages, mail, animations, and electronic mail, over local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular and satellite networks; electronic transmission of computer software over local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular, and satellite networks; electronic mail services; facsimile transmission; web site portal services; providing access to databases and local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular, and satellite networks; internet service provider services; message transmission services, namely, electronic transmission of messages; telecommunication services for the dissemination of information by mobile telephone, namely the transmission of data to mobile telephones; mobile telephone communication services."

Hint hint!
  • Reply 20 of 111
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

That's exactly what I want/need. No stupid propietery providing that would be screwed up when it comes to canada or any garbage like that.

It'd be amazing for people new to their contracts. Sign up for the one that gives you that shitty free phone, they always pump, toss the free phone and put in your iphone.

Better than that whole OMG ITS 69 DOLLARS WITH A 3 YEAR CONTRACT, like those samsung and other makers do.

I always found it funny that the sony store doesn't sell unlocked versions of their phones.

Damn that'd be sick because I've been limping around on my old sony ericson wondering if I should wait until my contract is up for renewal or hit up the internet and get something crazy from asia.