Digital Room Correction in OSX ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello.

Does anyone know how to do this with OS X ?

Any software package / Mic combo that can turn the mac into a real time digital EQ / Correction machine ?

Thanks

Nuno

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    considering you MAY ave been going to spend money on software ANYWAY try this http://www.behringer.com/DSP8024/index.cfm?lang=ENG

use your mac for more fun things
  • Reply 2 of 8
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I have heard some pretty high-end room correction systems (TACT, for example), and they all sounded like crap. Are you sure you really want this? Better listen first.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I have heard some pretty high-end room correction systems (TACT, for example), and they all sounded like crap. Are you sure you really want this? Better listen first.

id be in complete agreement with you

sounds more like some acoustic treatment is needed in the room and would equal money better spent!

more detail on the room would help
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Really ?

Well, I read some pretty interesting favorable opinions.

It's just a FFT filter for god sakes. A lot of VST , and audio unit plugins do it. It is just a matter of integrating that with a really good measuring mic package.

I 've done some measuring with a mic, and have an exact frequency response of my listing room. But I still have to calculate EQ gains and re-.measure etc etc.

I guess i am lazy !

• Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by European guy

Really ?

It's just a FFT filter for god sakes. A lot of VST , and audio unit plugins do it. It is just a matter of integrating that with a really good measuring mic package.

I 've done some measuring with a mic, and have an exact frequency response of my listing room. But I still have to calculate EQ gains and re-.measure etc etc.

I guess i am lazy !

first off check out Earthworks omni mics VERY flat for not much money (they aint chep but with the laws of diminishing returns you'd be hard pushed to find better)

secondly from speaker to ear via walls is all in the time domain {milliseconds}, while EQ is in the frequency domain {Khz}

so pluging in an EQ isnt really the right tool for the job

better results from having the right room ie shape reflective surfaces to absorbent surfaces ratio etc.

what size is your room? where are the standing waves what are the dominant nodes? what speakers are you using? what are their position in the room? what music are you mainly listening to? what effecyt do you want to achive? ie is this for a totally flat 'studio' response or is it for hi-fi playback?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    2 seconds on google got this

and this forum post
  • Reply 7 of 8
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by European guy

Really ?

I guess i am lazy !

There is a lot of favorable opinions to be had on crappy stuff on the internet - it took me many tens of thousands of dollars of audio purchases before I realised that you can't trust magazine reviews and you REALLY can't trust internet experts. You can't even trust me - only trust your ears: never buy things that you have not heard, and listen to a lot of stuff before you buy.

Anything that you add to the signal chain wrecks the audio quality - EQ got tossed decades ago as a bad deal. You are much better off treating your room to balance out the sound.

First, use a mirror to find the places on the walls where you can see the two speakers from your listening position - put something soft (like cloth covered foam) at those two places on each side wall. If you are really keen do the ceiling as well, and make sure that the floor in between the speakers and you is covered with a rug.

Second, calculate the resonant frequencies of your room:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/10388/index.html

You can use cardboard tubes from home depot (the huge ones used to make concrete pillars) to damp out the peaks. You calculate the physical length of an offending frequency at your altitude, and make the tube half that length (and seal one end). Headphone.com used to have a whole DIY manual on it, but it is gone - maybe they still have it on backup if you ask them. You can paint the tubes black to make it look nice if you like.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

There is a lot of favorable opinions to be had on crappy stuff on the internet - it took me many tens of thousands of dollars of audio purchases before I realised that you can't trust magazine reviews and you REALLY can't trust internet experts. You can't even trust me - only trust your ears: never buy things that you have not heard, and listen to a lot of stuff before you buy.

Anything that you add to the signal chain wrecks the audio quality - EQ got tossed decades ago as a bad deal. You are much better off treating your room to balance out the sound.

First, use a mirror to find the places on the walls where you can see the two speakers from your listening position - put something soft (like cloth covered foam) at those two places on each side wall. If you are really keen do the ceiling as well, and make sure that the floor in between the speakers and you is covered with a rug.

Second, calculate the resonant frequencies of your room:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/10388/index.html

You can use cardboard tubes from home depot (the huge ones used to make concrete pillars) to damp out the peaks. You calculate the physical length of an offending frequency at your altitude, and make the tube half that length (and seal one end). Headphone.com used to have a whole DIY manual on it, but it is gone - maybe they still have it on backup if you ask them. You can paint the tubes black to make it look nice if you like.

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately for me, adding "non authorized elements" to the room is more problematic than using bad equalizers. Wife doesn't really understand the "audiophile" thing ;-)

So, after I moved all my CDs to my mac mini I really would like to test room correction equalizing curves right in iTunes if possible.

I already bought a Behringer UC 8024 and a measuring mic to read the room at desirable listening point.

I HAVE to go this route...