New OmniApp is...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, it's official... the mystery next OmniApp is...



OmniPlan



*happy dance* I guessed right.





Would be slick if they took kGTD's OO scripts functionality and incorporated those. I'd be quite happy.



Update: Nope, that's going to be in Project CodeName: OmniTask... they're actually looking into it. Sweet.



So OmniPlan is likely to be a counterpart to kGTD+OO, not a replacement. Fair enough - as long as they don't stomp on each other, I'm still happy.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    It's about time for an Omni Suite



    Bundle Outliner, Graffle, Plan and Web plus any other small stuff together. I'm ready to be Omni'ized
  • Reply 2 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Hmm, it's gonna have to be damn good to replace basecamp.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    It's about time for an Omni Suite



    Bundle Outliner, Graffle, Plan and Web plus any other small stuff together. I'm ready to be Omni'ized



    Their Omni Productivity Bundles have that.



    Quote:

    Omni Productivity Bundle

    Includes OmniGraffle 4 Standard Edition, OmniOutliner 3 Standard Edition, OmniWeb 5 and OmniDiskSweeper. Save 27% over purchasing all these items individually.



    \t$130.00\t



    Omni Professional Productivity Bundle

    Includes OmniGraffle 4 Professional Edition, OmniOutliner 3 Professional Edition, OmniWeb 5 and OmniDiskSweeper. Save almost 25% over purchasing all these items individually.



    \t$225.00



  • Reply 4 of 13
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by New

    Hmm, it's gonna have to be damn good to replace basecamp.



    I hope it is! I'm not quite ready to spill the guts on my company's plans on a public website with no encryption.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Thanks Chucker!



    I'll look go grab these all together and save a bundle.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,792member
    Excellent. (But they could have posted a screenshot or something.)



    The OS X environment is really getting some good productivity apps.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,792member
    Well their site is no longer slammed and I just looked at the screenshots.



    Looks like a solid app, but the pricing seems off to me.



    Apple debuted iWork at $99. and now its $79. I would have liked to see OmniPlan come in at $99 and then upsold into three figures as part of a suite.



    The only other thing is that I would have loved to see lots of templates included to 'mainstream' the idea of project planning.



    Anyone download the beta?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Downloaded the Beta, added some items to a "plan", and it consistently hangs saving... I removed it and I'll wait for the next Beta. I was surprised given the quality of their other software.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mikef

    I hope it is! I'm not quite ready to spill the guts on my company's plans on a public website with no encryption.



    Well, with that kind of backwards thinking, You'll have to pass on the whole next phase of web-development. \



    Well, I tried Omniplan, and it just got in my way of work. I'm not a project manager, I just need to easily manage my projects. Well, back to basecamp.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,792member
    I've heard of Basecamp, but I'm not a Project Management guru either.

    Just took a look at their site.



    That does look good. Very nice, clean Mac-like layout.



    Simple organization, though I didn't see anything on tracking costs, which is a big part of many projects.

    I like the whole web collaboration idea. This is where the world is headed/has arrived at.



    This program makes me wonder if OmniPlan has tilted too far in the direction of the Gantt charters, instead of Project Management for the Rest of Us?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i dunno. everyone is ga-ga over basecamp, but i look at it and think, geez, this is about as dull as scrubbing through my e-mail, with an interface that looks almost exactly like blogger's dashboard. i mean, i know the eventuall output is important, but i'd like to be interested in USING the program, and gantt charts make sense to me, and help me visualize progress. my old company had something similar to this made available from microsoft (can't recall the name) and it was just an online message forum where people dumped any messages they didn't send via e-mail.



    ah well, maybe i'm too old-school for any of this. what happened to project management by locking the team in a small room with a manager armed with a baseball bat? that usually kept people on time. (that was a joke for the humor-deficient)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by New

    Well, I tried Omniplan, and it just got in my way of work. I'm not a project manager, I just need to easily manage my projects. Well, back to basecamp.



    I think that's the major failing of these types of products. I cannot claim to be an expert, in fact I'm also just a guy wanting to manage some projects. I'll give OmniPlan another shot down the road (hopefully the next Beta) and hope that it actually works.



    Maybe there's still room in the market for project management apps that don't have a steep learning curve. Nobody wants to take time from their project to learn a new, complex app. I know I don't...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    I've heard of Basecamp, but I'm not a Project Management guru either.

    Just took a look at their site.



    That does look good. Very nice, clean Mac-like layout.



    Simple organization, though I didn't see anything on tracking costs, which is a big part of many projects.

    I like the whole web collaboration idea. This is where the world is headed/has arrived at.



    This program makes me wonder if OmniPlan has tilted too far in the direction of the Gantt charters, instead of Project Management for the Rest of Us?




    I agree, basecamp doesn't interfere with my work,It's just there. one of 37signals other products, Backpack (http://www.backpackit.com), is an excellent way of tracking and organizing personal tasks, without putting any rules on how you organize your own stuff.



    For tracking time and cost, check out http://www.tickspot.com/

    Havn't tried it, but it looks good.

    For billing I use http://www.blinksale.com/
Sign In or Register to comment.