Quicktime 5 Pro=Quicktime 6 Pro?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I purchased Quicktime 5 Pro last year. Would I have to pay for QT 6 Pro if I downloaded it, or would it work as the Pro Player Edition?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Pay for it again. And then pay some more for the ability to play Mpeg2 on it.

Thanks for stopping by, do come back next year.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Groverat,

I must be following you round the threads. Can I ask you a genuine question? Are you here because you hate the Mac and want to turn everyone away from it, love the Mac but can't bear the "state it finds itself in" or are you really 13 years old?

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: jimdad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    As a clarification to GroveRat's response:

- $30 to upgrade to QT6 Pro from QT5 Pro(due to MPEG4 licensing fees)

- $20 to get MPEG2 playback
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    That sucks. It really does. And, I just went to watch the archived stream it says I must have QT 6.

Is it possible to have both QT 5 Pro and QT 6 installed and operating? I paid freakin' $30 for QT 5......I suppose that's out the window?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Are you here because you hate the Mac and want to turn everyone away from it, love the Mac but can't bear the "state it finds itself in" or are you really 13 years old?<hr></blockquote>

Well, first off, when people in real life ask me what computer to get I more often than not recommend a Mac.

Is there something anti-Mac about what I said in this thread? It's the truth, so if that's anti-Mac it's not my problem.

Sometimes, we thinking beings realize that Apple fleeces their customers and undertakes money-making tactics so brazen and illogical they would make Bill Gates blush.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I paid for Photoshop once and then a smaller upgrade price twice since.

If I pay for QT6 again it'll be the third time I have paid full price for a single piece of software.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    pp Posts: 12member
    The $30 for the QT6 upgrade is to cover MPEG4 licences and because it's an updgrade well worth those dollars (IMHO)

The extra $20 for the MPEG2 is to cover the licences for that decoder. The point is that the MPEG2 prices have no caps (MPEG4 is capped at $1M), and Apple is really only shuffling those $20 on. Consider this if you find it on Hotline or Carracho.

Apple's fault here is:

* Not explaining that part about the MPEG2 licences when previewing QT6

* Not making a QT Pro/MPEG2 bundle at say $40.

* Not including Full screen mode in the standard Player. I never forgave them for removing this from QT3.

On that last point:

tell application "QuickTime Player"

present movie 1

end tell