Apple Remote Desktop

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The distinctly unpleasant IT manager at our workplace has started investigating the use of ARD. Is there any way we can disrupt, corrupt or disable the system temporarily to deter his troublecausing snooping ? For now we are just switching the function off in the System Preferences Sharing panel, but he ultimately may remove admin access.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    ultimately, if worse comes to worse, you can connect through a firewall that blocks the ARD port(s).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Is the OSX Firewall capable of doing this or will it require a 3rd party app. ? For now I've switched it to show status in menu bar so you get a chance to catch him snooping.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If admin access is turned off, you'll have a hard time altering the firewall. In that case, you'll have to look for another solution. One solution may be to use a consumer off-the-shelf internet router/gateway, and setting that up as a firewall.

If you're clever about it, you can disconnect it when you're not there, so when he comes to check up after hours, he'll have absolutely no idea what's wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    baseball bat...

however, your employment may also be temporary...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

baseball bat...

however, your employment may also be temporary...

As will be his freedom after his Al Capone session.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

One solution may be to use a consumer off-the-shelf internet router/gateway, and setting that up as a firewall.

If you're clever about it, you can disconnect it when you're not there, so when he comes to check up after hours, he'll have absolutely no idea what's wrong.

Care to elaborate ? Any particular products ??

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    This might be ideal

Secure Spot

If it provides port blocking without doing any sort of network routing, that's the best solution. Otherwise, you can usually tweak any Cable/DSL router to serve as a firewall, but at times these can be hard to configure just right.

Off the record, you have an Impreza? I just assumed that you were a corrado owner. I have a 2005 Impreza WRX.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks for that.

Yes, I am a Scooby owner. This is my 03 WRX PPP...

...but I used to drive a Corrado which the G/F now uses.