iMac buying advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
we might be able to sell our iMac ppc.

Is it smart to wait a bit for the next intel core duo?

As far as memory is concerned, buy the iMac with 1GB in it, or upgrade later might be cheaper?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

we might be able to sell our iMac ppc.

Is it smart to wait a bit for the next intel core duo?

Wait. Though the wait could be as long as 2 months or more. But since you already have an iMac it seems you can wait.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It could be as long as two months like PB said (Mac Expo in September), but I don't think it makes sense marketing-wise for Apple to wait and update the iMac that far out. We'll have to wait and see. But yeah, you should wait. The new chips --whatever finally goes in the iMac-- will be worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Classic problem for anyone in the academic market, too. I just got my new budget (July 1) and need to put in a purcase order for approval of my department's new computers. I want to order new intel-based desktops, but they do not exist and may not ship until September, even if the come out next month. Too late for this year's start of classes. No, I don't think it wise to go for G5s, especially since they are not discounted in any way.

Same for the MBP, where buying a new one today is possible, but waiting two weeks is wise.