I have an idea

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought of it this morning when I had music blaring from my speakers from my iTunes alarm. I was tired and annoyed and just wanted the music off (I suppose I could have just turned my speakers off but that's beyond the point). Being tired and annoyed, going to the dock, clicking iTunes then going back up and clicking the pause button seemed like an excruciating process when my eyes could hardly open and I was only about 20% aware of my surroundings. After going back to bed and falling back to sleep (and ultimately ending up being late for work) I had a dream and my dream looked like this:

This would also be useful if you're working with other apps and don't want to bring the iTunes window up just to pause your music or skip songs. I think it would be very convenient and a great edition to Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Sorry man, but it's been done for years. Synergy offers this, for instance.

• Reply 2 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    There's also Barquee and you control: tunes.

Enjoy your dream come true!

(I also expect something like this to be included with the next version of iTunes as well. Just too useful not to.)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Also, you can Command+Tab to iTunes, and just press the Space Bar.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I figured there probably was something already made. I'm glad there is and will try out the above suggestions when I get home. it would have been nice if I have have invented it though.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    You can also right-click on the dock icon and select pause or set the Mini Player to float over all other windows.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    There is also that Mute key on your keyboard, if all else fails
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

There is also that Mute key on your keyboard, if all else fails

Indeed. It's come in handy hundreds of times.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    How about when you want to watch a CNN news video, but you have Air America Radio streaming in another window or even worse, in QuickTime Player? And you want to have your audio iChat running at the same time? That's 3 separate volume controls on 3 separate applications. So to watch the news video, you go and mute QT Player and mute your iChat window. Etc. etc.

Somebody needs to make a control panel that groups all the audio sources into one place.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I personally think that iTunes and Quick Time should be merged into one application somehow.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw.

iTunes is a music metadata cataloguing system that also plays back the songs. The videos are obviously tacked on, and pretty poorly implemented, IMO.

QuickTime is the underlying framework. QuickTime Player is the app... and it's a plain media playback app, no cataloguing or metadata, but it can play anything.

Very different focus for each.