Moving admin account over to regular account

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, I've heard enough of reasons why I should not do day to day computing on my admin account. So I'm going to create a regular (non-admin) account for this. My question is which is easier/possible?

1) Create the new regular account and move all the stuff that I've done up to now over to that account.

2) Make the current admin account a non-admin account and then go and create a new fresh admin account.

I don't have my Mac at work with me so I can't try it out, but I'm assuming that with option #1, all my files created under admin (iTunes, iWeb, iMovie), won't be accesible to the new regular account. So if possible, I think option #2 would be easier.

Thanks.

-DJ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I have recently asked the same question. #2 would be easier, but you would be best to create the new Admin account before you downgrade your regular account.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Definitely #2. I just did this on my mac, and it is pretty simple. Just remember, create the new admin account first.

Noah
  • Reply 3 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dac0nvu

OK, I've heard enough of reasons why I should not do day to day computing on my admin account. So I'm going to create a regular (non-admin) account for this. My question is which is easier/possible?

1) Create the new regular account and move all the stuff that I've done up to now over to that account.

2) Make the current admin account a non-admin account and then go and create a new fresh admin account.

I don't have my Mac at work with me so I can't try it out, but I'm assuming that with option #1, all my files created under admin (iTunes, iWeb, iMovie), won't be accesible to the new regular account. So if possible, I think option #2 would be easier.

Thanks.

-DJ

Yeah, number 2 will be real quick and easy, I wouldn't foresee any problems there. But, where'd you hear about not doing day to day computing on an admin account? I've not had any problems and been doing it for a long time. Not root but another, created admin account.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Yeah, number 2 will be real quick and easy, I wouldn't foresee any problems there. But, where'd you hear about not doing day to day computing on an admin account? I've not had any problems and been doing it for a long time. Not root but another, created admin account.

I think it was suggested from a security point of view...just in case.