Question...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just recently acquired an old i mac. Not sure what the specifications are, however, it is the one that has the whole computer in the monitor. It is lightgreen clear plastic in color...do you remember those?!?!

Well, anyways, is it possible to get a new OS system on it. My mom just recently got an ibook (right before they came out with the new ones)...was hoping to use her disk to install it on this computer...is this imac to slow? Will this work?

any helpful hints and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you everyone and have a fantastic thursday....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by RYANQ

I just recently acquired an old i mac. Not sure what the specifications are, however, it is the one that has the whole computer in the monitor. It is lightgreen clear plastic in color...do you remember those?!?!

Well, anyways, is it possible to get a new OS system on it. My mom just recently got an ibook (right before they came out with the new ones)...was hoping to use her disk to install it on this computer...is this imac to slow? Will this work?

any helpful hints and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you everyone and have a fantastic thursday....

You have to buy a copy of the OS. The disk that ships with your Mom's iMac is machine specific.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ryanqryanq Posts: 15member
    would it work on the machine...or is it too old?

sorry...new to apple...but love it already
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The iBook install disc won't work to install on the other computer.

You can install any version of OSX on it though, you'll just need a generic OSX install disc (These can be aquired from store.apple.com for something like $129).

Now, you'll need to know a little more... the very first lime-green iMacs shipped with a 6GB hard-drive and 32MB RAM ... niether is big enough to handle OSX, but both are up-gradeable.

But before you uprade them, first get the machine on-line and update the ROM... search on Apple's support site for instructions.

Then if you DO upgrade the HD, the OS will need to be installed on a partition entirely within the first 8GB of the disk.

I had Panther running on a bondi iMac (266 MHtz G3)... it was useable for all the iLife stuff except iMovie/iDVD.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ryanqryanq Posts: 15member
    hmm...very interesting...maybe it's just better for me to save up for a new mac...rather than dumping a lot of money into this old machine.

i really appreciate you helping me out. ty
  • Reply 5 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    A macmini would be your best bet. That iMac was designed in the OS9 era and it will run OS9 like a champ. I once installed OSX on a G3/266, it worked .... but thats about it.