Any way to change default Dictionary language?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know you can change the spell check to various languages, but is there a way to change the Dictionary's language to something other than English? I frequently use control, command, d to get quick definitions and I'd like to be able to use it for other languages (Spanish, primarily).

Thanks for any advice or help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    You have to download new dictionary files, I don't know where you can get them. I've tried Googling it, I've been looking for a French one for ages too. Evidence on various Apple sites suggests that it only ships the New Oxford American English Dictionary with Mac OS X releases, even in other language Mac OS X versions:

- English

- French

- Spanish

(scroll about half way down, in the yellow box on the right)

So, these dictionaries may not even exist. Ignorance on Apple's part in my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tismfutismfu Posts: 76member
    Ah, that stinks. Many thanks for your reply.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah. If someone could figure out the format Apple uses, and somehow licenses a variant of a dictionary, you could use that.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
  • Reply 5 of 7
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Mac OS 9 included support for International (ie proper) English. Apple needs to lift their game. I hate the mis-spellings in the Finder.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    it's quite annoying when the dictionary tries to correct me when i type colour
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Huh? The OS X spell checker accepts 'colour' just fine.