Anchored cursor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Help!

Occasionally, I have highlighted something and when I try to highlight somehing else, everything between the first and second item becomes highlighted. This occurs without holding down the shift or command key.

That first item seems to be an anchor. I can stop this by restarting, but that's a pain. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I take it you're talking about selecting items in the Finder? If it's a Finder issue, you can try relaunching it by holding alt then right click it in the dock and select relaunch. If you have a 3rd party mouse, you can try unplugging it and plugging it back in.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I take it you're talking about selecting items in the Finder? If it's a Finder issue, you can try relaunching it by holding alt then right click it in the dock and select relaunch. If you have a 3rd party mouse, you can try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Unfortunately, it happens in what ever app I'm in. Excel, Mail, etc. It's as if I were holding down the shift key when I move to another item. However, you gave me an idea. I will try to force quit the app I'm in and see if that works when I relaunch that app.

I'm using a Mac mouse with an applet called One Finger Snap. When the mouse button is held down for a fraction of a second, the (right button) menu pops up - just like it would by holding down the control key and pressing the mouse button.

I also have an 8 button, cordless, rechargeable Logitech mouse, but I use the one button Mac mouse 95% of the time.

I don't think this is a mouse problem as it only happens intermittantly.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by sequitur

I'm using a Mac mouse with an applet called One Finger Snap. When the mouse button is held down for a fraction of a second, the (right button) menu pops up - just like it would by holding down the control key and pressing the mouse button.

I also have an 8 button, cordless, rechargeable Logitech mouse, but I use the one button Mac mouse 95% of the time.

I don't think this is a mouse problem as it only happens intermittantly.

Maybe it's a bug in the one finger snap tool. Have you tried working without it to see if that's what's causing it? It is a hack after all and when something looks odd, you should generally suspect the hack first.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Maybe it's a bug in the one finger snap tool. Have you tried working without it to see if that's what's causing it? It is a hack after all and when something looks odd, you should generally suspect the hack first.

The problem was occurring before I started using One Finger Snap.

If it occurred more often, the source would be easier to chase down, but it only happens about every couple of weeks. I have tried causing it to occur, but no luck.

I'll try the Force Quit option next time.

By the way, I use a MacSolitaire game. It freezes occasionally, but I can unfreeze it by using Option -Command - Escape (the keys for Force Quit). Just using those keys will unfreeze the game. I don't have to actually use Force Quit.

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Check the Sticky Keys and Mouse Keys settings in Universal Access, just to be sure they are off.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    That may well be the answer. The 'sticky keys' was ON. It's turned off now. If the curser doesn't stick now, that IS the answer. Most grateful, Lundy. I was getting ready to boot the computer and I don't mean doing a start up.

Changed my mind - I turned sticky keys back on. WHEN it happens again, I'll turn sticky keys OFF and see what happens.