Mac Book question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello!

I am new to this forum and was wondering if you could possibly help me.

I am 14 years old and go to school in London, I am just about to embark on my GCSE course. The school I am at requires me to have a computer, I had before going to school there and still do have an iBook as I am a big Mac fan but unfortunately it was not compatibile on the school system as it isn't intel based. Therefore, my parents had to buy me a Dell laptop...........

I use iPhoto (2000 photos) and iTunes (c. 1000 songs) and therefore, with my 256Mb worth of memory, my 14.1 inch iBook is very, very slow. I have had it for 2.5 years and it has been a great computer, but I have heard to upgrade the memory to 1GB it is going to cost £170. I have spoken to various people about it and someone said that it isn't just the memory that makes things go faster, it is a series of other things.

What do you recommend I do, my parents have suggested that I get a new MacBook, which would therefore work on the school system, the new onew being intel based. Ideally I would like the black MacBook, with 1GB worth of memory and the Apple Care protection plan. Is there anywhere I can get an education discount, I have spoken to Apple and they say they won't give one to me as I am under 18..........

So what do I do:

1- Buy a new MacBook- either the higher spec. white one or the balck one, with 1GB memory and Apple care. Where could I get it for the cheapest price?

2- Upgrade the memory of my current iBook, considering price and the lifespan left in it, is it worthwhile? Also will the memory alone make it faster?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Freddie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I would get the MacBook. I have a white 2.0 ghz processor and I love it. Check your pm's and I'll tell you more.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    More memory WILL make your iBook react MUCH faster. It will be especially noticeable in iPhoto, not so noticeable in Safari.

How, exactly, does the iBook "not compatible" with the school system ??? Do they require you to run certain Windows-only applications? If it's just a matter of logging on to the school network, the processor brand shouldn't matter.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I was told that the new intel based macs are only compatibile with the school system. Just out of interest, is the Mac Book going to get updated in the near future?

Interesting to hear that the memory will especially make iPhoto go faster, the only thing is it is so expensive.

How come when ordering off the USA education store, you get a free Nano but not in the UK store??
  • Reply 4 of 11
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    New MacBook.

Try speaking to someone over the phone. I'm 16 (also in the UK) and I've just ordered a MacBook, it's being delivered next week. All I had to do was e-mail a copy of an acceptance letter for college (sixth form) to them, technically the man said he wasn't supposed to do it but he did anyway. I don't know if it'll work for you as you're still in school, but it's worth trying to speak to someone anyway. I got lucky and got free AppleCare, so it's really down to the person you speak to at the other end. Give it a shot.

The Apple Store number is 0800 039 1010. Don't feel obliged to buy anything, stick to what you want and don't become pressured by the salesman.

The guys in the actual Apple Store said that the free iPod nano offer should be coming to the UK in around August/September.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I tried calling first when I wanted to get a quote and the man gave me a great deal, with Apple care at £52 but when I called again, I was quoted near full price and was told that I am not entitled to an education discount despite being at school and using the computer for educational purposes?!?!?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I would say keep calling until you get a good price and then get it right then, if you are serious about purchasing it.

-JP
  • Reply 7 of 11
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Originally posted by freddiebroders

I tried calling first when I wanted to get a quote and the man gave me a great deal, with Apple care at £52 but when I called again, I was quoted near full price and was told that I am not entitled to an education discount despite being at school and using the computer for educational purposes?!?!?

I agree with jpennington, keep phoning. When you find a good deal, ask for the name of the person you're speaking to and their direct phone number and extension, that way, you can call the person right back.

Good luck, and yeah, being 14 sucks when you're trying to buy Apple gear .
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I would just order anonymously off the apple store online and get the EDU discount anyways. About the RAM though, you might want to look into buying from somewhere else rather than Apple. It will be a lot less expensive, and if you get the MacBook the upgrade will be really easy. I mean ridiculously easy.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

I would just order anonymously off the apple store online and get the EDU discount anyways. About the RAM though, you might want to look into buying from somewhere else rather than Apple. It will be a lot less expensive, and if you get the MacBook the upgrade will be really easy. I mean ridiculously easy.

You can't do that I think, they ask you to send evidence of that you belong to an institution, otherwise everyone'd be doing it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by max_naylor

You can't do that I think, they ask you to send evidence of that you belong to an institution, otherwise everyone'd be doing it.

They didn't ask me. I went through and bought my MacBook with the EDU discount without ever being asked if I was a college student or a teacher. I justify it because I'm a high school senior and I will be using this computer for school and all through college.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Get your Parents to pony up for the Mac Book Pro

only joking!