Final Cut Express HD issue

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm running Final Cut Express HD on a 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD etc. I also have the Sony HDR-FX1E HDV Cam, when importing via the FireWire in HD Final Cut Express drops frames.

If I lower the RT settings from Unlimted to Safe and set the record to Playback settings the dropped frames issue disappears.

Does anyone know why a top spec Intel iMac cannot import / edit with the RT settings on Unlimited & Dynamic without dropping frames???

This is really frustrating!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porkspeare

I'm running Final Cut Express HD on a 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD etc. I also have the Sony HDR-FX1E HDV Cam, when importing via the FireWire in HD Final Cut Express drops frames.

If I lower the RT settings from Unlimted to Safe and set the record to Playback settings the dropped frames issue disappears.

Does anyone know why a top spec Intel iMac cannot import / edit with the RT settings on Unlimited & Dynamic without dropping frames???

This is really frustrating!

is it just dropping frames in the playback window? or in the actual captured file? the RT settings shouldnt affect import...

Also, if it is choaking on playback of a timeline sequence, try a doing a preview render...

ALSO: Have you installed all software updates for OSX and FCE on the intel platform?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Dropping frames pissed me off INCREDIBLY when I had to do that. Overall, just don't do CRAP while it's importing video. Even dragging windows around caused my 1.8GHz G5 to drop frames.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

is it just dropping frames in the playback window? or in the actual captured file? the RT settings shouldnt affect import...

Also, if it is choaking on playback of a timeline sequence, try a doing a preview render...

ALSO: Have you installed all software updates for OSX and FCE on the intel platform?

It is dropping frames when capturing HD video, a little yellow triangle appears in the capture window with the % the capture is behind. This is when the dropped frames message comes up.

The iMac has all the latest updates inc, SMC, FirmWare, OSX Updates and Pro Apps updates.

Once I get the video to the timeline I will get the dropped frames message again.