Rather full hard drive

becbec
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I bought this Macbook last night, but before I did anything to it there was only 57 GB left from 80 GB. Although I do have iPhoto and a DVD program and a few other things, I don't understand where the space was eaten up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I had the same question when I first received my MacBook. I have a 100gb hard drive but i only had about 75gb to use out of the box. The first issue is how you calculate the storage. Everybody just kind of rounds up. The actually formatted capacity for my hard drive is 91gb. Second, Apple gives you a ton of stuff. Just random programs and other such things like drivers. I'm not sure but I think that I read somewhere that OS X itself is about 5gb, but again, I'm not sure. I know this explanation isn't the greatest but that's the basic answer. I'm sure someone else like Chucker could answer your question in a more detailed way.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    The bundled software takes up the most. Garageband is the worst at over 3GB - not the app itself but the loops. Even the example projects are huge. Some apps have a lot of themes too such as idvd. I get rid of most of them.

What to do is get Whatsize:

http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/

This measures the disk usage all over your drive and reports where the most is being used.

I'd say that taking into account your drive would only be about 75GB as mentioned, the default 20GB or so installation can probably be brought down to under 10GB. It just depends which apps you want to still use.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    becbec Posts: 68member
    Thank you both for your replies. I'll wait until I have some idea of how to use this thing before trashing stuff, but that's a great idea. So long as it's normal, I'm happy.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    The templates, themes, and loops for GarageBand and iDVD take up several gigabtyes. They're stored in in /Library/Application Support/[name of app]. If you're not planning on using those apps, move those files to an external drive and you'll free up some room.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Also, if you reinstall OS X you can skip installing the boatloads of printer drivers. Also you can scale back the languages installed since every language available in OS X is installed by default. These steps will shed some GB weight.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Yes,that is what I would do, wipe the drive clean & do a custom reinstall of the OS. You should then see more free space.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm so scared of doing something wrong though - I mean I'm proud I now know how to right click.

To move to an external drive...would burning to a DVD be alright instead?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bec

To move to an external drive...would burning to a DVD be alright instead?

The idea is to have them stored in another place in case you need them in the future. So, external drive or DVD it makes no difference.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Thanks for the link to that program Marvin. Believe me, bec, after a few years and all kinds of movies and games and music building up all over the place you start wondering, "what the heck happened to all my space?"

I was pretty shocked personally at how much space Garageband and iDVD take up when I explored the issue (painstakingly, by selecting folders and Cmd-i). Also, as mentioned already, the different languages that you can choose to not install (it's not as scary as it seems) take up a little over a GB. And the, literally, tons of printer drivers are several GB's I believe.

I believe that the best course for now is what you've already come up with-keep it since you have space to spare. The printer drivers might prove very convenient, not ever having to worry about it.

Side note: the disparity, Maimezvous, has to do with the fact that 1GB actually equals 1024 MB, and so on. For some wacko reason the harddrive manufacturers write it as 1GB=1000MB, and so on and put in fine print what it really is. Actually, it might be even wackier than that (I read on Wikipedia that it was for floppies) but that's the basic problem.

By the way: Welcome and best of luck with your shiny new computer. **meelash is green with envy** 8)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Yeah, thanks. I couldn't remember the actual numbers and, to be honest, I was too lazy to look them up.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Hey, that's a great utility. Anybody else showing 2-3 GB of data in the folder

~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local ?

Apple's Tech Note says "not to touch" this folder, but damn that's a lot of data in there, and I don't even have any syncing services enabled, not even iDisk. Apple implies that deleting items from this folder could cause deletions from Address Book and others.

Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

The bundled software takes up the most. Garageband is the worst at over 3GB - not the app itself but the loops. Even the example projects are huge. Some apps have a lot of themes too such as idvd. I get rid of most of them.

What to do is get Whatsize:

http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/

This measures the disk usage all over your drive and reports where the most is being used.

I'd say that taking into account your drive would only be about 75GB as mentioned, the default 20GB or so installation can probably be brought down to under 10GB. It just depends which apps you want to still use.

• Reply 12 of 12
    Hehe, thanks Meelash!

I've yet to discover what most of these applications are even there for, like Garageband, so I'll stumble my way through.