iDVD Questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello everyone its been a while since i've been here

my questions are currently ive been using iDVD 5 to burn dvd's to play on my old panasonic dvd player hooked up to my HDTV. ive been converting my files into MP4 so iDVD can read (Which does'nt take near as much time) and import them into iDVD since i am working with files over an hour long so performance is default at best quality(which i prefer anyway). But iDVD takes around 6 maybe 8 hours or longer for a standard movie and then when i play the dvd the edges are cropped. the last footage i used was at 672X368 and was cropped when i played.

Question 1 what resolution should i use to prevent cropping? wiki says dvd resolution is 720X480 but it also says 480i is 640X480. which resolution range should i keep my videos under to prevent cropping since i dont have very many dvds to spare

Question 2 is there any other dvd burning utilities that might be faster at making a readable dvd for most dvd players including the older ones other than iDVD and still be 1 as easy to use and 2 have as good a success rate as iDVD i being the dvd is readable when completed and not a coaster

i like idvd very much but making a dvd is pretty much an overnight thing any help to speed up this process would be much obliged. as with anyone a free program is great but if everyone uses a program that you have to pay for and is a very good product with great reviews and will do what i am asking i would have no problem buying it

also i heard iDVD 6 might be faster is it ? should i download this http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Video/Apple-iDVD.shtml

i thought i would have to buy ilife 06 but it looks to me that this part of it is free

Current System Specs

eMac 1.25 768 ram superdrive 80gb hd

OS is current version for PPC 10.4.7

iLife 05

i know i cant expect this system to be a speed demon but for 400$ brand new with AP and BT it has been a wonderful system but something has got to be faster than idvd since other programs i use can convert formats of the same file in a much shorter amount of time

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dngonzales

Question 1 what resolution should i use to prevent cropping? wiki says dvd resolution is 720X480 but it also says 480i is 640X480. which resolution range should i keep my videos under to prevent cropping since i dont have very many dvds to spare

Try 640x480, that's standard NTSC video size. But, plan on buying more DVD's, I have found a very high defect rates in TDK DV-R's, and you should do a bit of experimenting to find out what your ideal setting are. I'd say you can plan on wasting 5-10 DVD-R's when you start out.... beside that, recordable DVDs are not that expensive anymore!

Quote:

[i]Question 2 is there any other dvd burning utilities that might be faster at making a readable dvd for most dvd players including the older ones other than iDVD and still be 1 as easy to use and 2 have as good a success rate as iDVD i being the dvd is readable when completed and not a coaster [/B]

Probably DVD Studio Pro, but it sounds like you don't want to spend the $$$.

Quote:

[i]i like idvd very much but making a dvd is pretty much an overnight thing any help to speed up this process would be much obliged. as with anyone a free program is great but if everyone uses a program that you have to pay for and is a very good product with great reviews and will do what i am asking i would have no problem buying it [/B]

As a completely unbiased source, I can only recommend Apple software solutions... heh, heh.

Quote:

[i]also i heard iDVD 6 might be faster is it ? should i download this http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Video/Apple-iDVD.shtml

i thought i would have to buy ilife 06 but it looks to me that this part of it is free[/B]

Yes, it's part of iLife'06. I think it's worth it. I bought it and like it quite a bit. Good for quick projects.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thank you for your reply on the resolution it is much appreciated

and yes i would love to have final cut pro and i am afirm believer in apple products i wouldnt mind forking over 1200 dollars for that product either just not for an emac im going to have to wait another two semesters for that 1 to get a mac pro or g5 quad to efficiently use that type of a "pro" product on and 2 wait for another semester to buy it since i only get 3500 a semester fin aid

but thank you for confirming that final cut is a good product since i have never seen it in action