Replacing Thermal Paste in MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I've done a lot of research prior to buying and after I bought my MBP on replacing the thermal paste. It seems that it does help the temperature a lot. (to me anyways)

I was wondering if any of you have tried this, and were you successful or not in booting up your MBP or see any temperature changes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by crackerjacksm88

Hey,

I've done a lot of research prior to buying and after I bought my MBP on replacing the thermal paste. It seems that it does help the temperature a lot. (to me anyways)

I was wondering if any of you have tried this, and were you successful or not in booting up your MBP or see any temperature changes.

Thanks.

Research here: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/...-question.html

Apparently, the thermal paste itself wasn't the problem. In the process of reapplying it, the hapless hackers forgot to reconnect the thermometers, resulting in the constant deployment of the fans.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I read that a while back.

Are you trying to say that based on their report, that the thermal paste didnt give them lower temperatures, but it was the fans constantly running?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I can't claim to be an expert at all in this issue but I perhaps have some anecdotal evidence. I recently opened up my PowerBook G4 12" 867 MHz to replace the Superdrive. I also recently opened up a friend Acer Pentium 4 thingie (HUGE chip comparitive to the G4) to clean dust out of it's terribly designed heat sinks.

Anyway, on both machines it appeared that the thermal paste that was squeeeezed out around the processor was similar to what you would get if the amount shown in those Apple assembly manual pics that went around had been applied (i.e. alot!). I also noticed, contrary to what many of the forum-based "experts" claimed, that the excessive paste did not appear to have created an insulating layer between the processor and heat sink. In fact, the thermal paste was only evident in the tiny cracks on the surface of the processor as it is supposed to be. Perhaps the commercial manufacturers have a better method of squeezing the heat sink on so the excess is pressed to the edges then do-it-yourselfers have?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Well, the method of just putting tons of paste for manufacturers is probably the best way for them to paste tons of chipsets instead of "doing it yourself" ways.

I know from experience that a lot of thermal paste does increase your temperatures. I know this because I overclock my PC and once I had too much paste and the temperatures were high. Re-pasted and they were much lower.

What I want to know is if anyone tried repasting their MBP and if it was working after they put it back together.

I basically want to hear some unsuccessful stories since all I've been reading is how people repasted successfully.