Firewire problems with 10.4.7

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed 10.4.7 on my Power Mac and ever since I have not been able to copy, back up or browse both of my LaCie Firewire hard drives. At first I thought it might have been the drives so I connected both drives to my wife?s iMac G5 (Which is still 10.4.6 and I wont let her upgrade because of this) and they work perfectly. Also my business partner has had the same problem with his firewire drives and he also went to 10.4.7. Is this a known issue with apple? I have not seen any post about this, which I find rather odd.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

I installed 10.4.7 on my Power Mac and ever since I have not been able to copy, back up or browse both of my LaCie Firewire hard drives. At first I thought it might have been the drives so I connected both drives to my wife?s iMac G5 (Which is still 10.4.6 and I wont let her upgrade because of this) and they work perfectly. Also my business partner has had the same problem with his firewire drives and he also went to 10.4.7. Is this a known issue with apple? I have not seen any post about this, which I find rather odd.

I'm on 10.4.7 and my firewire HD is working O.K.

Does anything show up in System Profiler when the hard drive is plugged in?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Yes when I connect the drive it shows up on the desktop and in the profiler. But less than 60 seconds it un-mounts the drive. I have also seen (Thru google search) that I am not the only person with this problem. But I have not seen anyone on AI with this problem.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

Yes when I connect the drive it shows up on the desktop and in the profiler. But less than 60 seconds it un-mounts the drive. I have also seen (Thru google search) that I am not the only person with this problem. But I have not seen anyone on AI with this problem.

Have you tried contacting LaCie support? Sounds like a bug report needs to be filed with Apple if it hasn't been already, or LaCie need to update their firmware.

Actually, having said that, have you tried all the usual?

1.) Repair permissions.

2.) Re-set PRAM.

3.) Download the 10.4.7 combo update and re-apply (you don't need to do anything "clever", just download the update and install, it'll install over the previous 10.4.7 no problem).

4.) Create new user, test it in the new user account.

5.) Start up in Safe Mode (hold down shit key from the moment you hear the startup chime to the moment you see the log-in screen (or until you are logged in if that usually happens automatically).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    One question did you have the drive hooked up to your mac when applying the 10.4.7 update?

8)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

One question did you have the drive hooked up to your mac when applying the 10.4.7 update?

8)

Yes it was. I didn't even think about that. How will that affect the drive?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    It can cause the drive to either not mount at all or do what is happening to you.

Try using disk utility to repair the disk to see if there is any damage caused to it.

Another thing you could try is to disconnect the drive completely and install the 10.4.7 combo update again and any other necessary update and then reconnect the drive which may help.

Let know how it goes.