Anyone got FIOS from Verizon?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm in the process of moving to the suburbs and just ordred FIOS service for my internet and television needs. Does anyone here have it? Do you like it? Seems cooler than cable and I absolutely loathe Cablevision which is the local cable company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I believe trumpt has it...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I have FIOS for internet and television. I'm leaning toward giving it up for television simply because I don't watch enough to justify it. However for internet it is insanely awesome and cannot be beat for the price.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman

I have FIOS for internet and television. I'm leaning toward giving it up for television simply because I don't watch enough to justify it. However for internet it is insanely awesome and cannot be beat for the price.

Nick

We should be getting it here soon. Verizon just tore up everyone's yards to install fiber optics. Did a nice job effing up my lawn, but whatever. Can you tell us more about it? How does it compare to cable for internet and TV?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Well to compare with cable, I get 15 mbps download and 2 mbps up for $30 a month. To me, that is insanely great. Also my individual connection is that speed with no sharing or latency issues which are common with cable internet. The television is good in that it is all digital, most cable still keeps a certain number channels analog. Also there is PPV, on-demand and other niceties. So far in my view the DVR sucks which is the only downside.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Nick, Which level of internet did you get? I got the second tier which is 20meg dl. I had so many problems with my cable modem over the last year that I'm looking forward to having something different. Time Warner totally oversold their capabilities in NYC. My tv guide never updated at night, I often had problems accessing on demand services and my modem dropped service constantly. I had three service visits and they did this and that and nothing helped. I'm convinced they just don't have enough bandwith for the density and services they are trying to provide.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have the 15/2 opinion and it is offered to me at $30 a month when it is bundled with certain phone packages and television packages. Wife and I are talking about giving up the landline and we will have to see how that would affect the bill. I have no bandwidth troubles.

Nick