Not a macintosh?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is it a realistic possibilty that what apple is about to release is NOT a macintosh...it is still a comptuer, but not a mac, like the next thing, I can't even think of what it would be called(probably some other type of apple)

but there was the apple I and II the lisa then the macintosh, what if the next computer is coming out now?, I highly doubt it but it is something to think about...will apple ever ditch the macintosh as they ditched the lisa and the apple series

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    hey people ! this one is not in any rumor site... way beyond... i think we have the topic to go through monday !

41 hours to the keynote... from belgium
  • Reply 2 of 14
    This is a very interesting point, I don't have any insight, but I would like to hear ideas from other members of the board, so I am posting to keep the thread at (or near) the top of the page.

Edit: Ok, I thought up some insight. I have a reason that it probably won't happen, or at least Apple wouldn't completely switch to the next thing (AppleI/II/III-->Lisa-->Mac-->****). The reason is that OS X is the "future of the macintosh" and if it runs a Mac OS, then it's a Mac, and if X is the future than obviously Apple sees a future in Mac.

Also, Apple has done this recently (not really recently, but within the last ten years). It was called Newton, and it was a new Apple Computer product that was actually a computer, but not a Mac. Also, apple made Workgroup Servers that ran a UNIX type system, these aren't macs either. So apple has done this, but they weren't very succsessful. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Nixholas ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 14
    They basically ditched what we know as "Macintosh" with OS X. X is a whole new beast that replaces the Macintosh of old.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleCello:

<strong>They basically ditched what we know as "Macintosh" with OS X. X is a whole new beast that replaces the Macintosh of old.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So the next logical step would be to preload OS X and make it scream!

-Paul
  • Reply 5 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleCello:

<strong>They basically ditched what we know as "Macintosh" with OS X. X is a whole new beast that replaces the Macintosh of old.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. its still a Mac despite the change of OS.

I think Macintosh is Apples definition of the personal computer. The concept of computer will have to change much before what they see as their main computer will no longer be a Mac. And what makes a Mac a Mac is its User Interface. They will have to reinvent it much more than they did with X before it isn´t a Mac anymore. Not even "Mother" (in Alien) has a radical enough user interface not to be included in the Mac termonology.

We need something that is not just a tool for the person to move away from the PC. Computers with real AI (whatever that is) or which don´t interact with persons, but parts of persons or a community as a whole will not be PCs and should Apple ever make such computers they will not be Macs anymore. But at the same time (wo)man will no longer be the unit in society and I couldn´t imagine living here anymore.

Am I making any sense or am I suffering from pre-MW lag?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>No. its still a Mac despite the change of OS.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree. That's like saying that Darwin x86 is a Mac. Apple made OS X as Mac-like as possible while giving it throughly modern underpinnings.

There's still the "Macintosh Experience" with OS X (I think it's a better one), but there has been a fundamental shift.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Its not my definition of a mac but Apples It seems to me that what the rest of the industry calls a PC Apple call a Mac. So to ask the question "whats after the Mac?" would be like asking whats after the Personal Computer. I agree that X was a huge step but evidently not enough to make the same change in the name as Apple II -&gt; Mac.

• Reply 8 of 14
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Diskstickers, you're totally wrong.

Do you know what Darwin is?

Have you seen pics of x86-Darwin?

It ain't a GUI
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I think that if Apple felt the need to create a new product, they would just call it:

i

so it would be the hub for iTunes, iMovie, iPicture, iPod, iThink therefore iAm, iDVD, iThis, iThat.....

SdC
  • Reply 10 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>Is it a realistic possibilty that what apple is about to release is NOT a macintosh...it is still a comptuer, but not a mac, like the next thing, I can't even think of what it would be called(probably some other type of apple)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ooo...you might have it!

• Reply 11 of 14
    lol
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Would anyone buy a computer that was named Cox Orange?

• Reply 13 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Apple and macintosh is a definate match made in heaven, macintosh apples are good, and they have good names

I originaly thought granny smith, but those are for making pies not computers

I guess We won't be seeing the next thing, at least not for a while, I wonder if steve even thinks about this? the end of the macintosh era and the dawn of the golden delicous

apple SHOULD have made their iMacs Bright "granny smith" geen, mellow "golden delicous" yellow/orange deep "macintosh" red...etc

not blueberry,lime,strawberry and whatever the hell else they had
  • Reply 14 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Ooo...you might have it!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nice Scates