Safari--Favicons as an option instead of words for Bookmarks Bar

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why not let users use site "Favicons", or the little icons that appear in the address bar of most sites, as the icon for Bookmarks in the Bookmarks Bar of Safari, as an option instead of words? It'd take up less space. Also it would be good to let users sub in their own pictures of the same size too. Good idea? I wrote Apple about it today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    That is all good and fine unless two or more sites use the same favicon. Case in point--this site, the AppleInsider.com discussion forum, uses vBulletin's generic favicon just like a lot of other vBulletin-based discussion sites.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hence it as an option, and also the option of assigning your own icons.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Case in point--this site, the AppleInsider.com discussion forum, uses vBulletin's generic favicon just like a lot of other vBulletin-based discussion sites.

Mine shows a little grey square with the letters ai inside for AppleInsider favicon.

Anyway, it's not a good idea because your favicon cache can get cleaned and then how are you supposed to know what site is what?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It's a good idea. I think often a lot of people here have big monitors and don't "get it" with people like me with a 12" monitor. I am a Tab fan. Why? 12" monitor. Why did I suggest this? 12" monitor. It's a good idea. Anything that saves me precious pixels is a Good Idea™ until further notice! And I realized, there should be a third option, hybrid, with both the picture and text.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

That is all good and fine unless two or more sites use the same favicon. Case in point--this site, the AppleInsider.com discussion forum, uses vBulletin's generic favicon just like a lot of other vBulletin-based discussion sites.

That's only because they're still updating (or our caches are screwed up). It always used to be the AI logo.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    I guess you haven't noticed that AppleInsider has updated its vBulletin software. We are getting the latest version of the generic favicon.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm not. (filler filler)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

I guess you haven't noticed that AppleInsider has updated its vBulletin software. We are getting the latest version of the generic favicon.

You should be seeing the AI logo, as the favicon.ico file is present where it should be.

Having said that, it isn't showing up correctly on one of my browsers. I'll look into it.