Apple-Google Partnerchip Amist Firefox and Real?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google is assembling a Coalition of the Willing to fight Microsoft in all the war fronts.

As we all know, Google is a friend of open source and other free software movements, but so far Linux has yet to become a cool factor and famous for is easy of use(just as the Google products which are easy to use)....So, would an Apple partnership be imminent?

If you think about it so far Microsoft has the platform control and Google needs a leg up in that arena. Apple already has a lot of Google built in their OS, like every time you select text in Mac OS X and right click, you get the "Search Google" option....

How likely do you guys think this could be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    I don't see it personally.

To me, the speculation has been that Google is assembling its own armoury of programs with which to compete against the likes of MS at an application level and there is no doubt that Google is using the open-source side of things to get it done.

But to me, its mostly aimed at the consumer user stuff where people are looking to get the basics done quickly and simply. In the MS world, the free source stuff fills the gap of users buying windows machines , wanting applications, but not wanting to pay the full prices of MS apps like office.

I cant really see Apple joining Google on trying to fill thta gap. Arguably, Apple already tries to fill that gap as a typical Apple machine will come that are decent enough to get the average things done that a consumer would want to do. iLife etc etc.

I also just cant see Apple wanting to help give a leg up to another company wanting to get into the Windows platform arena.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hkbaqhkbaq Posts: 58member
    Google has tried to mimic the iLife suit and bundle software together with its Google Pack...

Maybe they want some deeper insight from his Steveness to do in Windows what has been done in the mac
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Just what would apple get out of this partnership??
  • Reply 4 of 4
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Just what would apple get out of this partnership??

Merging .Mac with Google's growing stable of web services might be kind of nifty. Google's biggest strength is their massive infrastructure... letting Google handle that side of things may cut into Apple's revenue, but it will also reduce their maintenance overhead. I don't know how much profit Apple makes from .Mac, but I doubt it's a huge winner for them. The Google brand has almost as much cachet as the Apple brand. A big partnership between the two could make some waves.