US Macbook in UK?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone used an American Macbook in the UK?

How did you power it?

I'm considering buying a Mac whilst i'm in the states (i'd save alot) and i need to know if i need to order a power cord from apple when i get home or if i can just use a travel adaptor, like the ones you pic up in the airport.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    You need to find out if the power supply switches from 100 to 240V - my powerbook one, bought in the UK does, but I'm not certain if the US ones do. They should, because it's a portable machine after all, but I know that for a while at least the US iMac PSU didn't, while the european ones did.

David
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Electricity?

Since Mac power supplies are standard (just look for that 100-240 indication in the specs); it's all in the plugs. I just got back from Australia where they are also DC and all was fine. You only need the right plug.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    On the PB/Ibook lines you can also use the iPod travel adapter kits that converts your brick into the various prongs suitable for the outlet of the country, don't know if it's still the case with the MB/MBP, much more elegant than most travel adapter.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit

I just got back from Australia where they are also DC and all was fine. You only need the right plug.

I don't think anywhere in the world uses Direct Current.

You're right in that it only needs the right plug though.