Word for Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm ordering a MacBook today and am not entirely psyched on dropping $150 on Microsoft Office. Is there any way I can find a free download of it, or at the very least Word, on the internet to save some dough? Or is there a way multiple people can split the bill and all get a copy of it? Thanks

-Cheap Consumer

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by le mot juste

I'm ordering a MacBook today and am not entirely psyched on dropping $150 on Microsoft Office. Is there any way I can find a free download of it, or at the very least Word, on the internet to save some dough? Or is there a way multiple people can split the bill and all get a copy of it? Thanks

-Cheap Consumer

Do you use Excel?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I like Appleworks
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

I like Appleworks

Pages opens and saves Word files, maybe that will fullfill your needs?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    http://www.abisource.com/

If you're dead set against paying for a Word compatible word processor then why not give Abiword a try? It's free and does a fairly decent job.

Pages is also a good suggestion (though it'll cost you money).

BTW, Appleworks no longer ships on any Macs (but it did a nice job for me when I used to use it).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho

If you're dead set against paying for a Word compatible word processor then why not give Abiword a try? It's free and does a fairly decent job.

I don't think so. I find it pretty slow for what it does. It's kerning is also horrible i.e characters are spaced incorrectly.

Nisus Writer Express supports Word format, is Intel native and is just $50:

http://www.nisus.com/store/

I had a couple of issues with it that relaunching the app seems to sort but it's one of the most responsive text editors I've seen on the Mac and it has enough features.

If you are that cheap, you can try out Ragtime Solo, which is free but it's not Word comptible.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

-Cheap Consumer

Do you work for a company that uses Microsoft products? That has a volume discount? I never knew that I do and we are allowed to buy directly from Microsoft using their Home Use Program. It cost me $19.99 for the CD. My company is a total Windows shop but I was allowed to buy their Mac version.

edit: That CD was for Microsoft Office 2004 - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Nisus Writer Express supports Word format, is Intel native and is just $50:

Oh yeah, compared to $0, that's a great bargain.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Is there any way I can find a free download of it, or at the very least Word, on the internet to save some dough?

Yes, but I'd rather keep this account.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    To hell with word processors. Download Lyx. (free)