Mac Mini Tivo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Basically, I want to hook a Mac Mini up to a TV, have it access the TV schedule via wifi, and automatically record TV shows and edit the commercials out. then I want the recorded shows to be transferable to other computers on the network.

Am I dreaming? or Shall I get tivo? Would like to spend less than 900

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    A mac-mini connected to a TV is cool, but I don't think it is there yet. I love mac mini integration, I have one in my car and dining room (was in kitchen before a move).

Unless the TV had a DVI or HDMI input I would advise against it. Scan conversion causes a loss in quality. The mac-mini in the living room would be great and several people have done it, but it won't be as smooth as the TiVO yet. More functional, but if all you want it for is a TiVO then I would get a tivo. I have three TiVO's, you can set up (with a little modification) the TiVO server to serve your movies/pictures/music from a mac to it.

The argument I usually make is that you are adding the mac mini as an upgrade, but if the quality of the picture goes down, you will be tempted to just use a DVD/TiVO instead.

If you do want to do it, or have a TV with a DVI or HDMI input go with EyeTV. It is the de-facto standard for TV on a mac right now. http://www.elgato.com/