PCI usb card and sleep

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do all pci usb cards work with deep sleep?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I don't know exactly what you're asking. Does "deep sleep" = hibernate? Or do you mean does it prevent sleep? Or do you mean does it continue to provide power while the Mac is asleep?

Here's all I can help with: Mac OS X's sleep normally deactivates USB ports, network connections, and probably Firewire (never used powered or network Firewire beyond TDM, so I can't say). I haven't used a PCI USB card.

Do you mean PCI or PCIe?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have read that some pci usb 2.0 cards can make deep sleep not work and was ask if any know about ones that work with it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    That was a PCI-X and regular old PCI problem, according to some googling. I didn't see anything about PCIe in there. I didn't see any mention of G5s even as definitely having the problem. Not that I looked past the first page or two of google. So it may not be a PCIe issue at all

If it is a PCIe issue as well as PCI and PCI-X: There's no way to know if the problem exists on the x86 platform because there are only a handful of Mac Pros in people's hands.

Sorry I can't offer more help.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Maybe you are thinking of certain ExpressCard/34 cards preventing the MBP from sleeping?

It is the only problem I can recall regarding an add an on card and sleep.

And this issue was fixed with a software update today, so all should be fine.

Noah
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

That was a PCI-X and regular old PCI problem, according to some googling. I didn't see anything about PCIe in there. I didn't see any mention of G5s even as definitely having the problem. Not that I looked past the first page or two of google. So it may not be a PCIe issue at all

If it is a PCIe issue as well as PCI and PCI-X: There's no way to know if the problem exists on the x86 platform because there are only a handful of Mac Pros in people's hands.

Sorry I can't offer more help.

I'm asking about older mac with pci slots aka ppc 604 / g3 / g4
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Here's all I can help with: Mac OS X's sleep normally deactivates USB ports, network connections, and probably Firewire (never used powered or network Firewire beyond TDM, so I can't say).

Is there any way to prevent that from happening? I couldn't do it on my powerbook but that's because its a laptop. I would like it if I could download things overnight and such... any remedies?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

Is there any way to prevent that from happening? I couldn't do it on my powerbook but that's because its a laptop. I would like it if I could download things overnight and such... any remedies?

I don't think so. There may be a firmware hack (an EFI or OpenFirmware pref you can switch, but I don't think so. Although the Intel speed-step would work as a semi-sleep, sort of (nowhere near as effecient, but better than ON at full all night, and you can shut your LCD off.