Where is the outcry?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

Newby here, so sorry if this has been covered already...

Where is the outcry from the Mac community, and even the impartial computer review media on the $150 Macbook price hit for simply the color black. ( As I'm sure it's known here, the 20 gig upgrade is only worth $50)

I can't believe Apple hasn't gotten some bad press on this. I talked with an Apple sales phone rep about it, and he says it bugs all of them too. They get asked all the time on what the extra $200 gets them and they can't really justify the cost to customers. He seemed downright embarrassed.

I want that Blacky, but I feel downright reamed by it.

Thanks

Skip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    If you want that "blacky" trust me you'll pay for it and Apple knows it. Many people have/will!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I bought the black one. In my opinion it doesn't get scratched like the glossy white one, although it will get smudges, like if you hands are dirty.

i don't know if you'd think the $150 difference (besides the $50 20gig upgrade) is worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Customers are still allowed to vote with their feet, if it's too expensive don't buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Only advantage to black is scracthes harder to notice, but if you want black and can afford it, why not.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    It does sort of suck that the black MacBook is so much more expensive. But, from a business point of view... why not? You can get an equally good white MacBook at a lower price. Chances are, if you're going to get a MacBook, you're going to get a MacBook. It's not like going out to get a Dell notebook... and then saying there's something you don't like about it... so you can go to 100 different PC manufacturers. Apple isn't going to lose a sale... Chances are, if someone can't afford the black MacBook, or just doesn't want to spend the extra $$ for it, they'll just go with the white one. It's not really the most consumer friendly business model... but at least they now give you the choice. The iBooks were always all white... so it was white or nothing.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It's racist is what it is. In America where there horrifically is still abhorrent racial prejudice in the 21st century, it is obscene that color difference alone should warrant such a high difference in price.

Ok that argument is a bit far fetched but I wonder if it would make them change their mind.

My guess as to what happened is that they discovered via the ipod that black sells better than white and obviously they couldn't adjust the ipod prices. But they probably didn't want the same thing to happen with the laptops.

I personally prefer the white model.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It's racist is what it is. In America where there horrifically is still abhorrent racial prejudice in the 21st century, it is obscene that color difference alone should warrant such a high difference in price.

I personally prefer the white model.

Bigot.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atomicham

Bigot.

• Reply 9 of 17
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skippy77

Where is the outcry from the Mac community

Actually, there was plenty of discussion about it, but the general conclusion is:

If you want black, you have to pay for it, so there.

And really, I don't see what's wrong with that. If you don't think that black is worth the extra $150, don't buy it. Simple as that.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brently

If you want that "blacky" trust me you'll pay for it and Apple knows it. Many people have/will!

and even if you dont wanna pay for the paint, you will still buy a Macbook, so Apple still wins...and btw: the outcry was LOUD at first, but like most things related to corprate pricing (like gas), once the (object) is in the (oraphase). the fact that you are being fucked becomes second nature as the numbing sets in.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atomicham

Bigot.

touché. Wait am I using that right? That Mac ad got me all confused .
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ^
  • Reply 13 of 17
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

But wait, the BLACK laptop is VALUED HIGHER THAN that "Devil WHITE" model! So all is good isn't it?

Oh and hey, we aren't ***REALLY*** trying to rid America of prejudice just change things up a little (oops I wasn't suppose to say that out in public was I) But no, really, I'm truly happy with the new and improved America v2.0 - it's just too bad more of the Hollywood elite wasn't involved in it's formation they truly do know EXACTLY was best for us simple folk.

D
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Hello,

I can't believe Apple hasn't gotten some bad press on this.

Have you called Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee

Oh and hey, we aren't ***REALLY*** trying to rid America of prejudice just change things up a little (oops I wasn't suppose to say that out in public was I) But no, really, I'm truly happy with the new and improved America v2.0 - it's just too bad more of the Hollywood elite wasn't involved in it's formation they truly do know EXACTLY was best for us simple folk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent

Have you called Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson?

It's gettin' all racial up in hereyah!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Hello,

Newby here, so sorry if this has been covered already...

Where is the outcry from the Mac community, and even the impartial computer review media on the $150 Macbook price hit for simply the color black. ( As I'm sure it's known here, the 20 gig upgrade is only worth $50)

I can't believe Apple hasn't gotten some bad press on this. I talked with an Apple sales phone rep about it, and he says it bugs all of them too. They get asked all the time on what the extra $200 gets them and they can't really justify the cost to customers. He seemed downright embarrassed.

I want that Blacky, but I feel downright reamed by it.

Thanks

Skip

There are a lot of suckers out there..
  • Reply 17 of 17
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    If only they made the Black MB with the black power supply and magsafe cords... At least then I could see Apple charging a "convenience fee" for making the effort to do a complete color change. Oh yeah, and a black FrontRow remote...