Santa Rosa

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What exactly is Santa Rosa, and does it have any relation with Merom?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Santa Rosa is the name given to the three components that will make up the next Intel notebook platform (i.e. the next Centrino) slated for release in 2007.

The platform will use Merom CPUs, but with an 800MHz FSB compared to the current Meroms' 667MHz. The current Merom CPUs will not fit into Santa Rosa motherboards as these will require Socket P Merom chips.

From wiki:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Santa Rosa platform

The code-name Santa Rosa refers to the fourth-generation Centrino platform, scheduled for release in April 2007.

Market-watchers expect the platform to consist of:

* an Intel Core 2 processor (code named Merom) with an 800 MT/s front side bus that uses Socket P

* an Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (code named Crestline), offered with Intel's fourth-generation graphics technology

* an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n mini-PCIe WiFi adapter (code named Kedron)

The market also expects the forthcoming platform to support NAND flash-memory caching (code-named Robson), WWAN Internet access via cellular networks (code-named Windigo), and UEFI, a successor to BIOS.

• Reply 2 of 5
    And supposedly it'll have WiMAX. And it'll have both an integrated and a dedicated graphics variety.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

And supposedly it'll have WiMAX. And it'll have both an integrated and a dedicated graphics variety.

You mean 802.11n. WiMAX would be the equivalent of having a radio tower in your computer.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    That, or he's just happy to see you.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

You mean 802.11n. WiMAX would be the equivalent of having a radio tower in your computer.

No, I mean WiMAX receiver, not a transmitter. 802.16e. Not to broadcast the signal, but to pick it up. I did some more reading - it's not a part of Santa Rosa, but it's coming around the same time.