Can't find a topic need help with new MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey Everyone,

Well i finally took the plunge and bought myself a 2Gz White MacBook, 1Gb RAM and 80Gb Harddrive.

My query is that i once read a post here at AI about someone who bought a MacBook with a 60Gb HD and found that almost half of that was taken up by Mac OSX. The subsequent replies explain to him how to remove some of the parts of Mac OSX that he would not need like some of the installed languages etc.

So basically i would really appreciate either someone pointing me towards the oringinal post as i have search high and low for it and can not find it, or instructions how to remove all the redundent features of Mac OSX. The reason I want to do this is that i have a lot of music and would like as much HD space as possible.

Thanks Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan

Hey Everyone,

Well i finally took the plunge and bought myself a 2Gz White MacBook, 1Gb RAM and 80Gb Harddrive.

My query is that i once read a post here at AI about someone who bought a MacBook with a 60Gb HD and found that almost half of that was taken up by Mac OSX. The subsequent replies explain to him how to remove some of the parts of Mac OSX that he would not need like some of the installed languages etc.

So basically i would really appreciate either someone pointing me towards the oringinal post as i have search high and low for it and can not find it, or instructions how to remove all the redundent features of Mac OSX. The reason I want to do this is that i have a lot of music and would like as much HD space as possible.

Thanks Chris

I'm sure I've read a few threads about that as well... but I don't remember the specifics. I'm sure someone else will be able to point you in the right direction. I was going to suggest that you just get an external USB or Firewire drive for your music. 60 GB isn't all that large for a system drive anyway. Down the road, you may want to install applications, etc. External drives are pretty cheap right now and by keeping all your music on an external drive, it will always be safe. I guess the biggest thing would be is do you have alot of music that you keep on an iPod (or other DAP) or do you play it on your MacBook? If you play it on your MacBook an external drive might not be the best solution... but if you basically keep the music on your iPod, an external drive is a good choice.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

This will help a little

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Navigate to /Library/Printers and toss all the printer folders that aren't ones that you use.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks alot for the two suggestions, the monolingual is exact thing i was looking for. Are there any other parts of Tiger that will be less then useful which i could use too free up space?

Joey, I was refering to the other person having a 60Gb HD (but yeah i agree its very smal) i actually have an 80Gb HD. I already have a 160Gb external HD but im going to be using this mainly for films/programmes and backing up my data etc. my music i would like to keep on the Mac HD as i can play my music with out relying on my HD which i used to do with my Pc laptop (a matter of using less electricity).

Currently my external HD is formatted in NTFS but i am going reformat it to HFS+ jornaled would it be possible to load boot camp onto it? If i can would there be any performance problems like reduced speed?

Sorry about all the questions still an apple noob, maybe i should have put this in the genius bar foroum but oh well its here now.

Chris

Edit: just found a post about removing lanuages http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=65050