Finder displays SMB mounts in all CAPS?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can anyone explain to me why SMB mounts always show up in CAPS in the Finder?

Example # 1:

1) On my Windows server (or a Linux Server running Samba, etc). I create a share point named "planning".

On my Mac (Tiger), I connect to the SMB server using the "Connect To Server..." dialog in the Finder:

smb://<server_name>/planning

2) Once the SMB volume is mounted on the Mac client, the Finder displays the mounted share as "PLANNING" (in all caps)

3) If I go to the Terminal and do an "ls -l" from /Volumes the SMB mount is spelled "planning" as expected (all lower case).

This example is even more interesting:

Example # 2

1) On my Windows server (or a Linux Server running Samba, etc). I create a share point named "planning".

On my Mac (Tiger), I connect to the SMB server using the "Connect To Server..." dialog:

smb://<server name>/PLANNING

(notice the share name was typed in CAPS this time)

2) Once the SMB volume is mounted on the Mac client, the Finder displays the mounted share as "PLANNING" (in all caps)

3) If I go to the Terminal and do an "ls -l" from /Volumes the mount is spelled "PLANNING" (this time in all CAPS)

It appears that based on my tests, even though the SMB protocol doesn't care about case-sensitivity of SMB share points when browsing or connecting, whatever I type into the "Connect To Server..." dialog box is what ultimatley shows up in the Terminal under /Volumes. But, regardless of how I spell the share point name in the "Connect To Server..." dialog box the Finder ALWAYS displays the SMB mount with CAPS. Grrr.

The relationship between BSD and Aqua is really freakin' strange when it comes to how SMB is handled. Why does the BSD side and the Finder side of OS X not treat SMB mounts the same? This problem has been around since at least 10.2 to my knowledge.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments