wireless router for Macs?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all-

Just got a cable internet connection at my apartment. My roomie and I each have iBooks, and so obviously we're going to get a wireless router so we can both be online simultaneously. Just browsing through Circuit City, some wireless routers list Mac compatiability, and some don't. Does it matter? Does anyone have any recommendations for compatible wireless routers on the less-expensive side?

After we get the right wireless router, is it going to be hard to make our connection secure? We live in Manhattan, so lots of people will otherwise be glomming onto our signal if we don't make it secure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    You can use anything, but apple makes the airport extreme and airport express.

You can pick a linksys wireless router at wal-mart for a pretty good price.

-justin
  • Reply 2 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    There are some other things that you should also look for when getting the router. Most are configured by your browser so that is not a problem. Also change the default router password as soon as possible.

1. Will you have a printer connected to it? It is nice to be able to print without having to hook up a printer to your machine. Since most printer are usb you might need a router with the usb port.

2. Do you need a scanner? It might be best to get an All-In-One, printer-fax-scanner. Lots of these come with an ethernet connection so your router might need to have ethernet connections. I also like to have the ethernet connections in case I have to trouble shoot the wireless not working. Like password not working or things can go out but not come back in.

3. Depending on your connection speed you do not have to get the latest and greatest speed router.

4. Check the back of your cable modem to see if it has a ethernet or usb or has both connectors. Most will have both and I have had fewer problems with ethernet connection ones.

5. Setting up router is usually very easy and make sure you write down your passwords you can make changes if necessary.

I have had Linksys, Netgear and almost all of the Apple wireless units. I liked the Linksys a little bit better than the Netgear. Both netgear and Linksys would lock up and need to be reset after power outages. I have had network printer and scanner conneted to these and they work well wirelessly. Apple base stations seldom failed and have usb connections for wireless printers. Biggest problem with the Apple base station is the price, much more expensive and not enough ethernet connections.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    As long as it has a 100 megabit WAN port, you should be OK with Netgear or Linksys. I've had 2 Netgears and one Linksys with no problems.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G wireless modem/router for my iMac but whatever I do it's not working. My ADSLnation one works fine, but doesn't work with my DSLite (god knows why.) With the Linksys I get a 401 not authorized error when I go to it's IP address, so I can't set it up. Speaking to Linksys they suggested a hardware reset, which doesn't work. The guy whom I bought it off insists there's nothing wrong with it, and as he puts it:

Quote:

Your findings indicate that the unit itself is working. Error 401

> > (relating to unauthorised) is likely a configuration issue only and

> > relates to the way your machine is accessing the router. HTTP Error

> > 401 indicates that the request to access the resource (in this case

> > the router configuration website) is unauthorised.

Are there any settings in Network Preferences that could affect this? As I say my ASDLnation one works fine.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have had Netgear and SpeedTouch, my brother uses LinkSys

They all work perfectly

DK
  • Reply 6 of 10
    It sounds like the problem is with the settings of the ADSLnation. How is your set up? ADSLnation to Linksys then wirelessly to the iMac? It might be as easy as resetting/removing power from the ADSLnation. Make sure your Linksys is powered up when you do it. Some units (ADSL or cable modems) won't allow a new unit to connect to it after it is powered up.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I'm getting annoyed with my Netgear MR814v2 actually - it seems to want to be restarted all the time and it takes about 45 seconds to bring up the web interface if Safari's cache isn't cleared first. I'm thinking about picking up a LinkSys. Is LinkSys pretty good in the web interface for setup?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg

It sounds like the problem is with the settings of the ADSLnation. How is your set up? ADSLnation to Linksys then wirelessly to the iMac? It might be as easy as resetting/removing power from the ADSLnation. Make sure your Linksys is powered up when you do it. Some units (ADSL or cable modems) won't allow a new unit to connect to it after it is powered up.

The ADSLnation is a wireless modem/router too. I just want to replace it with one that also works with my DS, that's why I got the Linksys, thinking it would be an easy set up process.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Did you inform you IP that you would be switching machines? They will need the mac address of the linksys. If they don't have that, they will not allow the mystery machine to connect to their network.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I've never had to do that before, from switching from my old Airport Extreme base station, to Airport Express (connected to a Netgear DSL modem),then to a D-Link all-in-one, and then to an ADSLnation X-Station. Why would the Linksys be any different?

The problem is I can't get into the Linksys to change the settings to connect to my DSL connection.