Hard drive wont mount :(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a dual G4 1Ghz with OSX 10.3.9. There are two internal hard drives. Yesterday, the system refused to boot, with the "Circle with Slash" icon appearing after a few minutes. I disconnected the slave drive, and the system booted fine. So I reconnected the slave drive and started up successfully using Disk Warrior CD (OS9) as a startup disk. But....only the boot hard disk appears on the desktop; the non-mounting slave drive *does* appear in the OS9 system profiler, but as "drive not mounted". (The drive isn't making the nasty "clicking sounds" characteristic of dead disk-drives). I also removed the drive from its bay and connected power to it using a one of the spare lines in the computer that was long enough to enable me to listen to the drive with my ear right next to it... and I can hear it spin up, followed by a single click... I guess that's normal?

Are there any (recommended) OSX utilities around that can forcemount a disk, or update the driver (if corrupted), etc? I just need to be able to get my data back without spending $2000 in a clean room facility. (argh) No utility I have even shows the second (slave) drive in the list of devices. Help anyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo

I have a dual G4 1Ghz with OSX 10.3.9. There are two internal hard drives. Yesterday, the system refused to boot, with the "Circle with Slash" icon appearing after a few minutes. I disconnected the slave drive, and the system booted fine. So I reconnected the slave drive and started up successfully using Disk Warrior CD (OS9) as a startup disk. But....only the boot hard disk appears on the desktop; the non-mounting slave drive *does* appear in the OS9 system profiler, but as "drive not mounted". (The drive isn't making the nasty "clicking sounds" characteristic of dead disk-drives). I also removed the drive from its bay and connected power to it using a one of the spare lines in the computer that was long enough to enable me to listen to the drive with my ear right next to it... and I can hear it spin up, followed by a single click... I guess that's normal?

Are there any (recommended) OSX utilities around that can forcemount a disk, or update the driver (if corrupted), etc? I just need to be able to get my data back without spending $2000 in a clean room facility. (argh) No utility I have even shows the second (slave) drive in the list of devices. Help anyone!

Depends how broken it is.

You can't mount it if file structure is damaged like that(DW told you I guess)

Various utilties out there to recover data on broken disk. like copycat, filesalvage, disk rescue II, ttp.

As long as you see it, it's 50/50 software recoverable. Depending how badly damaged it is. (not all files can be saved depending on bad blocks).

I once had a drive that's so badly damaged, it goes to 6665.3 hrs. It probably would save it after that long. But heck if anyone would run it for a yr.

Then it of to a facility to crack it open. Usually cost $500+(and goes up quite steeply).

I would say try Disk Rescue II. (slave it to another computer). Then try copycat(it's decently intersting to stop and resume).

You would need a 3rd drive big eough to hold your info though.