apple cinema displays capatable with windows?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i would really like a cinema diplay but does it even work with a regular computer (like my HP)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    As long as your HP has a video card with a DVI port, you'll be in business. In fact, you could get a VGA to DVI adapter as well I think.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Oh, and a Mac isn't a "regular computer", huh?

I use an old 22" Cinema Display (plastic frame, not aluminum like the latest models) on a PC at work and it works great in all respects.

At an earlier time, using a different PC, the 22" CD also worked very well, except for one thing: The PC didn't really understand how to drive the display until Windows started booting up. That meant that while the BIOS was starting up, and for part of the Windows boot sequence, I was flying blind. Whenever I had a problem that needed control over boot-up, I had to borrow a VGA display so I could see what I was doing.

I think the issue was the video card. It either couldn't handle DVI at all until Windows booted up and loaded a driver, or it had limited DVI capability until Windows booted up, too limited to understand the 1600x1024 native resolution of the 22" CD. I'd guess that most modern video cards with DVI capability will work completely with any Cinema Display, but if you can test things out before committing to anything, that would be great.