External display screen "shaking"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 15" PB 1.25GHz hooked up to a Samsung 19" SyncMaster 940MW monitor (widescreen) with a DVI-D dual link cable. The PB's resolution is set to 1280 x 854 (millions) and the Samsung is set to 1360 x 768 (millions @ 60 Hz). Display is set to whatever the opposite of mirroring is called, spanning(?). Everything is fine.

But when I try to kick the Samsung up to 1440 x 900, the image on the screen on the Samsung shakes/stutters/vibrates back and forth horizontally. Kicking the number of colors down on both, and/or kicking the resolution down on the PB, has no effect on the shaking. It's just when the Samsung is set to 1440 x 900. According to everything I've read, the PB should be able to drive this monitor just fine at that resolution.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can try to do to get this to work?

UPDATE: Everything works fine with a 12" 1.33 PB with a DVI connection at all resolutions. Also, everything works fine with the 15" PB if I hook it up with a VGA connection. So, I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the 15" PB's DVI, but why does it only happen at 1440 x900? Comments, help suggestions, guesses?

Comments