Developers: Intel transition going better than expected

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmyers2

I agree with what was said about BootCamp - Vista support will depend upon Apple, not M$.

Here's what I want out of BootCamp v1.0:

1. Allow me to launch Windoze by doubleclicking, not rebooting.

2. When going into Windoze, the screen should just go dark - when coming back into OS X, supress the chime.

3. As for the chime comment above, obviously this would only occur when I choose to restart out of Windoze, however it should then bring me back to the OS X state I was in when I left i.e., open apps/docs.

4. If I choose to shutdown out of Windoze then at least have saved all my open docs in OS X and make it typically Mac easy to figure out in the case of docs called 'untitled' etc.

5. Let me access OS X even from NTFS partitions when in Windoze.

I think this would set things apart in a positive way - otherwise Bootcamp is not user friendly and for those who know, just like any other dual boot solution that's been available to pc users for quite some time (IMHO). I don't really expect Windoze API's to run from within OS X but this reboot into Windoze could be improved on and really isn't the Apple solution I've come to expect.

Well seeing as how the name is BOOTcamp, I'm pretty sure that booting into windows will be required.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    ...but what if one of the secret 'features' of Leopard is the ability to install it on any PC hardware ? The would certainly get the attention of disillusioned windows users who will (believe me) still be waiting for Vista come the spring...

I mean, what the heck - it's not as if Apple hardware sales are going to be cannibalised, seeings as how Macs are now cheaper than Dells
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:

I agree with what was said about BootCamp - Vista support will depend upon Apple, not M$.

Here's what I want out of BootCamp v1.0:

1. Allow me to launch Windoze by doubleclicking, not rebooting.

2. When going into Windoze, the screen should just go dark - when coming back into OS X, supress the chime.

3. As for the chime comment above, obviously this would only occur when I choose to restart out of Windoze, however it should then bring me back to the OS X state I was in when I left i.e., open apps/docs.

4. If I choose to shutdown out of Windoze then at least have saved all my open docs in OS X and make it typically Mac easy to figure out in the case of docs called 'untitled' etc.

5. Let me access OS X even from NTFS partitions when in Windoze.

I think this would set things apart in a positive way - otherwise Bootcamp is not user friendly and for those who know, just like any other dual boot solution that's been available to pc users for quite some time (IMHO). I don't really expect Windoze API's to run from within OS X but this reboot into Windoze could be improved on and really isn't the Apple solution I've come to expect.

Apple definitely doesn't want to make changing to windows any easier than it already is, they want people using OSX, not windows over OSX. At some point developpers decide that it is easy enough for people to switch for windows, so why bother to develop for OSX.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce

...but what if one of the secret 'features' of Leopard is the ability to install it on any PC hardware ? The would certainly get the attention of disillusioned windows users who will (believe me) still be waiting for Vista come the spring...

I mean, what the heck - it's not as if Apple hardware sales are going to be cannibalised, seeings as how Macs are now cheaper than Dells

No, you have A case where A Mac is cheaper A Dell. Neither system are what a typical non-pro power user is willing to buy for their stated prices. It looks like Dell dropped their prices a bit so it's a little more comparable, but it's impossible to compare because Apple is using a consumer video card in a workstation, Dell doesn't do that, they've never done that and the level of support offered with the Dell is higher than what Applecare offers. The person that wrote the article is a bit of a dunce, IMO because the machine can handle 64GB, not the 8GB he claims. HP has a configuration that's $2799 for a dual 2.66GHz & 3yr on-site support, 2GB RAM and a baseline Quadro card. It doesn't offer OS X though, but that's only one of the reasons the systems don't compare well.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

No, rebooting isn't the Apple solution. It's the Windows solution. Don't want to confuse the average Windows user now do we? "You mean I don't have to reboot???!!!!"
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I see what you're saying but the average consumer won't care or notice. yeah it's best to do it a couple of weeks before for the small percentage of consious people that might be paying attention but other than that as long as it's out before it's not a huge deal.

Everyone paying attention would already get the comparison. If Leopard were to drop in jan and vista in march it's pretty clear anyways.

But ultimate it doesn't matter that much because we have to assume everyone that would pay attention would be ready to buy a new computer at that time as well.

the timing is still important. more importantly, apple doesn't NEED to ship leopard this year. tiger is the first version of os x that most people find fully featured and stable enough that the outcry for an upgrade isn't overwhelming. riding on ms's marketing budget is the smartest strategic move. i used to work on ms's advertising and i can guarantee you that vista will be a huge effort. especially since it's already being seen as sort of a let down. the more scared microsoft is, the more they'll spend.

if apple can diffuse some of vista's press then it's the smart thing to do. it also gives apple time to fix more bugs in leopard so it's seen in an even more favorable light compared to vista. i think jobs sees this as a pretty aggresive move against microsoft. so i think he's going to take advantage of everything that he can. and rightly so. microsoft is weakened right now and spread thin from fighting too many battles. the fight for marketshare will be affected by the leopard and vista comparisons. the hoped-for effect is that every review of microsoft's new big tasty os is automatically 50% taken up by comparisons to apple's new tastier better os rather than just being a fluff piece about vista.

apple has to make a very strong case with technology opinion leaders. computer purchases, more than any other large purchase, are made with the advice of opinion leaders. if the opinion is even slightly tipping towards macs then the effect is multiplied in purchases. apple doesn't have to convince each individual to consider a mac, they need to make the tech-geeks see it as an alternative so their mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt, grandma all consider it under the geek's advice.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas

Lets just hope that Apple's smart alec attitude, with regards to Vista, does not impact their ability to get things done.

What does one have to do with the other? Oh... you must be talking about karma. Nah. MS has a ways to go towards becoming the "nice" guy, they deserve every little bit of what's coming.