How Many Songs Can iTunes Hold?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know there is a limit but I forgot exactly what it is. It use to say on Apple's page but now I can't find it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

I know there is a limit but I forgot exactly what it is. It use to say on Apple's page but now I can't find it.

Is there really a limit? The only reason I can think that there is a limit is that there is a limit in the amount of data that the iTunes library folder can hold. If there is a limit then I would say that's it. I know that you can play songs through iTunes without having them in the Library folder, so I think that there really isn't a limit as long as you split up your music. I may be wrong though, so don't take my word for it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Yeah I use an external drive to store all my music but I thought the iTunes Library had a limitation. I thought I read some where that it was 45,000 songs or something but I thought they upped it in iTunes 6.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It seems as if we are both pretty unsure of ourselves. Hopefully someone that really knows will answer soon.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    the only thing i could find was the limit for itunes 2, which was 32000 songs. i have read reports somewhere that someone had 130,000 tracks but take that with a grain of salt. I feel that with iTunes 6 that it is most probably limitless in regards to the number of songs it can keep track off. It is more likely limited to the size of your harddrives.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah, there used to be a 32,000 limit, but as Apple's article on the matter states, this is no longer in effect as of 4.0.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    How did you set up your library on an external hard drive?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

Is there really a limit? The only reason I can think that there is a limit is that there is a limit in the amount of data that the iTunes library folder can hold. If there is a limit then I would say that's it. I know that you can play songs through iTunes without having them in the Library folder, so I think that there really isn't a limit as long as you split up your music. I may be wrong though, so don't take my word for it.

• Reply 7 of 10
    Well I've got 39,000 songs in mine (883 GB), so I guess the old limit is gone. And I use a network drive Millsdude, but a external works the same. Go under the advanced prefs and change your library to anywhere you want.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    It used to be 32,767 songs, which means that it was likely based on a 2Byte integer (w/negatives).

If they made it 3 byte, it's 8,388,608 I think..

It's a freakin lot, OK?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by millsdude

Plug in the drive. Assuming it's already partitioned, formatted and mounted, go to iTunes

Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Music folder location and choose the new hard drive, preferably a folder on the external hard drive. You'll want to tell iTunes to manage your library so tracks get moved there.

It's a good idea to check that setting occasionally, a month or so ago I found it had reverted to my own user account and I never found out why. I caught it before it tried storing too much on my system drive.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by millsdude

I don't have an external drive... Sorry about the confusion. It looks like JeffDM gave you a good answer though.