Just wondering, because I don't now better...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My home still uses Mac. I have a Dell for work. They bought it, I use it kind of thing, and no, they aren't buying me a MacBook Pro either...

If Tiger and the new Leopard run on Intel architecture, why can't I install it on my Dell?

Really, don't give me a bunch of crap about "why would I". I just want the answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbaker05

My home still uses Mac. I have a Dell for work. They bought it, I use it kind of thing, and no, they aren't buying me a MacBook Pro either...

If Tiger and the new Leopard run on Intel architecture, why can't I install it on my Dell?

Really, don't give me a bunch of crap about "why would I". I just want the answer.

Because the Dell motherboard isn't supported by MacOS X. End of story.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Let me try to explain this, any accurate technical and legal explanation will likly start a firestorm on this board but I just want to answer your question: Here we go:

Technically, the only real hurdle is drivers and the fact that OSX (and all Apple Hardware) use EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface ), the new generation of technology that serves as the bridge between the OS, like OSX, Linux or Windows and the actual hardware (and firmware therein). The EFI is replacing the BIOS, or Basic Input/Output System that dates back to the 1980s in many ways. OSX is EFI only and Windows is BIOS onluy, and they have announced that Vista will be BIOS only as well, so the Dell you seek will not boot OSX (without some questionable modifications and trickery well documentd with a simple Google search).

The second issue is a legal one: Some say it is illegal to run OSX on non-Apple hardware; technically, it isnt illegal as much as it is a violation of the EULA (assuming you intend to buy a copy and not torrent it). However, there is one loophole that someone found recently that I find quite interesting: The EULA reads something like "For use on one peice of Apple labled hardware at a time" and being that Apple is famous for including decals with all of their toys, it may well be acceptable to toss a sticker on a Dell and call it "apple labled" as a lable is simply a peice of paper containing the company or brand name/logo adhered to an object...

Bottom line: apple is a hardware company, period. As much as some of us would like OSX on anybox, that isnt the way the comany is set up.

BTW: Unsuppoted does NOT mean illegal, it means if you loose data, damage equipment, blow something up, whatever...Apple is not in any way liable or responcable and their tech support will hang up on you if you call. Hell, unsupported doesnt even really mean that it will not work, it is just apples way of saying "do this and you are in no-mans-land."
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for the insight. I have a pretty decent Dell, though I got it before the the Core Duo was available...and it is thicker with the lid open than my wifes PB G4 is closed...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbaker05

Because the Dell motherboard isn't supported by MacOS X. End of story.

Yeah this is the state of the affair.

I like your signature anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I am surprised Dells with their exploding batteries, haven't been labled as WMD by the government.