Help with WMP for Mac...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Im trying to go onto this website that plays streaming audio. It requires windows media player. When I go to the Microsoft website to download the media player, i download some type of file (sti or stf ??) but it wont open, telling me to open it with a specific application. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb1300

Im trying to go onto this website that plays streaming audio. It requires windows media player. When I go to the Microsoft website to download the media player, i download some type of file (sti or stf ??) but it wont open, telling me to open it with a specific application. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Flip4Mac. This absolutely rocks. It allows you to play WMP and WMV files directly in QuickTime. Best of all, it is Free.

http://www.flip4mac.com/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pb1300pb1300 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

Flip4Mac. This absolutely rocks. It allows you to play WMP and WMV files directly in QuickTime. Best of all, it is Free.

http://www.flip4mac.com/

But does it allow you to listen to streaming audio from a website? See...i go to this website, click the play now icon, and it normally would open another window with the media player in it. With the Imac, it redirects me to download WMP, but it wont open.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

But does it allow you to listen to streaming audio from a website? See...i go to this website, click the play now icon, and it normally would open another window with the media player in it. With the Imac, it redirects me to download WMP, but it wont open.

Which browser are you using and can you provide a URL for the streaming audio website?

Unfortunately, as good as flip4mac is, it is still a Work In Progress.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Which browser are you using and can you provide a URL for the streaming audio website?

Unfortunately, as good as flip4mac is, it is still a Work In Progress.

The website is Arionradio.com. As bad as it sound lol, its not what you think. Its a greek website that plays streaming greek music all day. and Im using Safari btw. Should I use anything else. or is there another browser for the Imac?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...d=windowsmedia

tells us, M$ recommends flip4mac too

and, you find the DL link for the WMP - which is installed on my Mac (10.3/Safari), clicking on arionradio.com's listen-now button plays nice Greece music...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

The website is Arionradio.com. As bad as it sound lol, its not what you think. Its a greek website that plays streaming greek music all day. and Im using Safari btw.

Hmmm... looks like we need more info, because it works fine for me.

What OS are you using and what mac do you have?

Quote:

Should I use anything else. or is there another browser for the Imac?

Some of the browsers available for OS X:

-- Safari

-- Firefox

-- Camino (same "Gecko" rendering engine as Firefox but better support for OS X technologies)

-- OmniWeb (same "kHTML/webkit" rendering engine as Safari but with many many advanced features)

-- Shiira (same "kHTML/webkit" rendering engine as Safari)

-- Opera

-- iCab

-- Internet Explorer

-- Netscape Navigator

-- Mozilla
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Hmmm... looks like we need more info, because it works fine for me.

What OS are you using and what mac do you have?

Some of the browsers available for OS X:

-- Safari

-- Firefox

-- Camino (same "Gecko" rendering engine as Firefox but better support for OS X technologies)

-- OmniWeb (same "kHTML/webkit" rendering engine as Safari but with many many advanced features)

-- Shiira (same "kHTML/webkit" rendering engine as Safari)

-- Opera

-- iCab

-- Internet Explorer

-- Netscape Navigator

-- Mozilla

I just bought a brand new Imac, 20" 1gb ram, etc. So Im using what i assume is the latest version of the OS and Safari. Ill try it again when I get home, but I will say that I aprpeciate everything everyone has posted. Like I said earlier, Im not totally new to Mac, but its been a couple of years since I used one, so I really need to get back into the swing of things.