Mighty mouse scroll wheel

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I received my mighty mouse with my iMac back in March. I'm mostly satisfied with it, but I've noticed that the scrollwheel is becoming less and less responsive. This only affects downward scrolling, as upward scrolling and left and right scrolling seem to remain as responsive as when I first used the mouse.

This may be due to wear and tear, as the downward motion is the one I use most frequently when browsing webpages.

Seeing as I'm covered under AppleCare, I could probably get it replaced if it becomes a real problem. I also have a logitech mouse collecting dust if the downward scroll motion becomes completely unresponsive.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there any possibility that this is a software problem, and not a hardware problem? (don't see how it could be).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    This is a well known issue. It's only going to get worse unless you decide to crack it open and clean out the rollers. I tried that not long ago, but just decided to throw it out.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

This is a well known issue. It's only going to get worse unless you decide to crack it open and clean out the rollers. I tried that not long ago, but just decided to throw it out.

Actually, I came across this. Very interesting:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic3592.html
  • Reply 3 of 3
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

Actually, I came across this. Very interesting:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic3592.html

Good job doing the research on this one. I wish more people would. This is one of the most annoying issues to keep on reading about on the forums: how you can't clean the scroll ball and you'll have to crack it open, etc. ,etc. ...

And the Apple support article on how to clean the scroll ball has been up all the time....

People, if you have a problem, the first course of action is to look it up in regular Apple support: Help Viewer for software, online for hardware. The first reaction should not be to come to a forum and complain about it.