Replacment Hard Drive for 1Ghz Powerbook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an old 17" 1Ghz Powerbook, it's so old that it still has an Nvidia Geforce 4 card in it.

But after about 5 years of use, it's 50Gb hardrive is failing. And I'm not sure I know what models would fit in it. I was hoping for 7200 RPM drive of 100Gb or more. My current one is 5400RPM, and I notice a considerable lag while the drive reads when something like Dashboard runs for the first time.

Will it take just any laptop SATA drive? if it helps, my current model is a Toshiba MK6026GAX.

I'm doing my own research, looking, but I don't really trust myself.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Just for the record, Dashboard ALWAYS lags when you run it for the first time.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    No... I mean it lags for like 2 minutes... freezing the whole computer while it waits...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Check at eshop.macsales.com for what the specs are for a replacement hardrive for your model. Then you can go to Newegg.com and find the same type there. It's probably an ATA-6 laptop (2.5") drive.

I recently bought a Western Digital 80 GB 5400 rpm drive from NewEgg for my 12" 867 MHz. I highly recommend it. It is so quiet that you have to hold your ear next to the computer in a quiet room to be able to hear the drive seeking. It also has good shock resistance specs and a good price.

Good Luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    By the way, even if a hardrive is the same RPM as your current one, if it has a bigger capacity, it will be faster. This is because there is more data squeezed into one revolution (as in revolution per minute, RPM).