Burn AVI's

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How would I go about burning AVI files to DVD's and CD's so that they work in a compatible player?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Roxio Toast 7 can convert DivX files (typically .avi files) and burn them to DVD's.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/to.../overview.html
  • Reply 2 of 8
    What about burning one o the AVI's to a CD as a video CD?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    The first item on the Toast Titanium overview page states:

"Create video CDs/DVDs with selectable menu styles"
  • Reply 4 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orionetheus

How would I go about burning AVI files to DVD's and CD's so that they work in a compatible player?

I've had varying luck trying Toast with this (granted, I have Toast 6...but I also have the divx plugins).

You might try converting them using ffmpegx and then burning.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    If by "compatible player" you mean a set-top DVD player that can play DivX files, you only need to burn the avis to disk, as you would any other file, no conversion necessary.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    I think he means reencode to mpeg2 dvd .ts ecaplation.

On that note, you have to realize that .avi is merely a container like .mov. It can be anything from divx, to wmv and beyond, mp3, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku

I think he means reencode to mpeg2 dvd .ts ecaplation.

On that note, you have to realize that .avi is merely a container like .mov. It can be anything from divx, to wmv and beyond, mp3, etc.

There are two major branches of .avi files--DivX-encoded .avi and Indeo? Video. For DivX, you are golden if you have the DivX codec installed. iMovie can edit your video and iDVD can burn it to DVD. Indeo? video is the format used in some digicams. These are extremely old formats. The codecs are bundled with the Classic version of QuickTime. They have never been ported to MacOS X. If you have the Classic version of QuickTime Pro, you may be able to convert them to .mov and then handle converted video with your regular MacOS X tools
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

There are two major branches of .avi files--DivX-encoded .avi and Indeo™ Video. For DivX, you are golden if you have the DivX codec installed. iMovie can edit your video and iDVD can burn it to DVD. Indeo™ video is the format used in some digicams. These are extremely old formats. The codecs are bundled with the Classic version of QuickTime. They have never been ported to MacOS X. If you have the Classic version of QuickTime Pro, you may be able to convert them to .mov and then handle converted video with your regular MacOS X tools

Untrue. While avi was developed by indeo, intel collaboration. That's long and dead.

Current .avi is a container from Microsoft multimedia format. The orgin of divx. It's a multimedia container, and can contain any type of codec.

It can have almost any video and audio codec inside, except the fact .avi lacks certain modern options that people will pass off such as for h.264. But it could have an avi of h.264 if anyone wanted to.

In current circulation .avi the most common are in microsoftmpeg4 (divx3 sometimes called) divx4, divx5, Xvid, WMV, WMV3, WMA, MP3, MP2. Perhaps a couple more.

QT's .mov is similar in this only, it's been updated more then .avi. Go into quicktime player and go export. You have more then a dozen video and audio encoders in there all under the .mov container. Most people use Sorenson, MP4, h.264, for .mov these days, but it can be a lot more!

for more information you can wiki it. Such as the orgin of .avi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI