Ipod fubar?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My moms 60Gig ipod Photo sent nuts on Friday night: after 4 hour of use it stopped, she picked it up and saw the sad iPod: so the first thing I did was charge it, same thing: tried to sync it to the PC and my Mac and neither box recognises it: if I put it in disk mode, the computer recognises it for 5 seconds then the ipod spontaniously reboots...then shows a dead battery icon...WTF?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    A couple of things you can try on your Mac to fix the iPod - it's possible some of the data is corrupted or you have a hard drive problem...

1) Even though the Mac says it can't recognize the iPod, Disk Utility still shows it as a connected volume. Try selecting it, erasing it and reformatting. Once you do this you can use spotlight to find the last iPod Updater (6-28-06) package, and run this to reinstal the iPod software. Hook it up the the PC to get all your mom's stuff back

2) Take it to Apple (if they're close by) - My 30 GB 5G kept telling me to connect to my computer and restore the software. I took it to the store and they swapped my iPod for a brand new one in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck though ... tell us how it goes
  • Reply 2 of 2
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707

A couple of things you can try on your Mac to fix the iPod - it's possible some of the data is corrupted or you have a hard drive problem...

1) Even though the Mac says it can't recognize the iPod, Disk Utility still shows it as a connected volume. Try selecting it, erasing it and reformatting. Once you do this you can use spotlight to find the last iPod Updater (6-28-06) package, and run this to reinstal the iPod software. Hook it up the the PC to get all your mom's stuff back

2) Take it to Apple (if they're close by) - My 30 GB 5G kept telling me to connect to my computer and restore the software. I took it to the store and they swapped my iPod for a brand new one in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck though ... tell us how it goes

Sad part is we willnot be able to get to the apple store for a week or so, it is in Indy and that means we usually take a day to do it because we cant really justify going to Indy for one arrond

update: we may be able to make it sooner...vut work...oi work...