Are online built-to-order's "safer" than computers bought at the Apple Store?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When purchasing a new Mac, isn't the best idea to order from the online Apple store -- the idea being that you're having a brand-new unit shipped to you straight from the factory (my BTO iBook G4 was shipped to me from China) instead of taking the chance of getting an early, defective product at the retail store?

I know that isn't fair to people who buy at the retail stores, but that's what I've always heard. Any thoughts, anyone?

I'm ordering a BlackBook in a matter of weeks, and will be praying that it dosen't have problems. \

p.s. -- I have fairly oily hands, tend to get fingerprints all over everything, and I'm prone to getting my electronics items scratched up. Is this going to be an issue with the BlackBook? Should I go with the white macbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Nope, they all come from the same chinese "slave labor"* camp.

*Note: The Public Citizen definition for 'slave labor' is anyone making under $12/hr
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    It depends.

BTO is prepackaged more or less. From any source

CTO from apple store may or may not be tested first.

CTO from retail store will suffer from using non "apple certified" parts. Apple's been playing badguy in the underground war every so often like not servicing "3rd party ram included computer". Of course most genious bars are taking it in stride, and just tell you to take out the RAM first.

But there have been more "meaner" cases due to apple ignoring 3rd party from retail stores. (Sometimes they have a right, like defective 3rd pt RAM/ HDD that they're not responsible for, etc, but it's an anal policy).

But the upside to this is CTO from Retail stores is that they test all computers after they stick stuff in there. So you have a garentee working computer. There really are DOA computers from Apple in the G5 era (heh liquid cooling can be a pain in the rear) Which would get screened out.

It's not perfect though. I've seen kernal panic-ed(logic board issue) and bad airport Mac's from CTO retail stores, so their screening isn't fool-proof(some are lazy and just make sure they boot up).

So pick your poison, as with all computers. the upshot to this is that applecare warranty is very nice if you have an applestore nearby. Drop it off, and pick it up.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I would guess that the Apple stores use a low invetory and just-in-time restock. The one you buy in the apple store may not be that older than the one you get shipped from China.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku

It depends.

BTO is prepackaged more or less. From any source

CTO from apple store may or may not be tested first.

CTO from retail store will suffer from using non "apple certified" parts. Apple's been playing badguy in the underground war every so often like not servicing "3rd party ram included computer". Of course most genious bars are taking it in stride, and just tell you to take out the RAM first.

But there have been more "meaner" cases due to apple ignoring 3rd party from retail stores. (Sometimes they have a right, like defective 3rd pt RAM/ HDD that they're not responsible for, etc, but it's an anal policy).

I fully understand this, because they shouldn't be asked to provide warranty support for hardware they didn't sell, though they should at least test anything that's not a third-party add-in.

For any warranty work, I would just pull all my own add-in stuff, did my backups and restored it to stock condition before bringing it in. I did that for what I thought was a bad network jack, but thankfully I checked it just before bringing the computer in.