Upgrade my Single 867s or my Dual 450s?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have 10 new G5s to deploy. Joy. I have 20 low-end Macs that really need to be upgraded. Decisions, decisions...

I can't decide if I should replace my 10 Dual 450 Graphite Macs or my 10 single G4 Quicksilver Macs. The dual G4s have 100 MHz buses and the Quicksilvers have 133 MHz buses. Other than that, they are very similar (they all have 1.0 GB of RAM). I'm torn on the decision thus far.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    what do you have in mind for the G4s you're replacing?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan

I have 10 new G5s to deploy. Joy. I have 20 low-end Macs that really need to be upgraded. Decisions, decisions...

I can't decide if I should replace my 10 Dual 450 Graphite Macs or my 10 single G4 Quicksilver Macs. The dual G4s have 100 MHz buses and the Quicksilvers have 133 MHz buses. Other than that, they are very similar (they all have 1.0 GB of RAM). I'm torn on the decision thus far.

Thanks

Upgrade the computer of your top 10 hottest female users first.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    the 450 are older but have one more ram slot then the Quicksilvers. Also the quicksilvers came with a better video card.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I was reading a lot of reviews recently when trying to advise someone on buying one and the general consensus was that the Quicksilvers are the better machines. Since a lot of programs will use just one CPU then you are comparing a 450MHz G4 to an 867MHz and there's no contest.

Someone I know just bought a dual 450 on ebay for £130 and there were lots of them going for around the same, some cheaper. It was difficult finding a Quicksilver at that price.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Upgrade the computer of your top 10 hottest female users first.

Done. Simple logic. Smart man. I like the way you think. Welcome to the company! You will go far.