Redbull MacBook/MacBook Pro for sleep/close lid thing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a way to prevent a macbook or macbook pro from sleeping when you close the lid?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
  • Reply 2 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That should be part of Leopard, Windows has had a pretty comprehensive set of "close lid" options since XP.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Wake it up again after the lid is closed by connecting or disconnecting any USB device you might have connected to your MacBook (Pro), e.g. external mouse. You need to have the power adapter plugged in. It then should switch into external display only mode, not turning on the internal display.

But beware of overheating (the display doesn't like heat that much!) and walk around only carefully with your notebook when it's running!

What do you need this for, if I may ask?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

Wake it up again after the lid is closed by connecting or disconnecting any USB device you might have connected to your MacBook (Pro), e.g. external mouse. You need to have the power adapter plugged in. It then should switch into external display only mode, not turning on the internal display.

But beware of overheating (the display doesn't like heat that much!) and walk around only carefully with your notebook when it's running!

What do you need this for, if I may ask?

Yeah, don't think about moving around with you notebook while it's running. It's my guess that the reason Apple forces it to sleep is to discourage this. Those tiny, high-capacity notebook harddrives are prett-y delicate.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Yeah, don't think about moving around with you notebook while it's running.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I did a search and came upon this. So, no movement whatsoever (not even subtle) can be made when you're using your MacBook? Sorry, brand new to notebooks in general. \
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

- Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I did a search and came upon this. So, no movement whatsoever (not even subtle) can be made when you're using your MacBook? Sorry, brand new to notebooks in general. \

No, I wouldn't say no movement whatsoever, but it's important to be careful and I think the best way to do that is to make a habit of closing and making sure its asleep even if you're moving from one room to the next. Since it takes fractions of a second to sleep and wake up this shouldn't even be too inconvenient. But definitely you don't want to subject a running computer to any kind of sharp jarring or turn it sideways suddenly, etc....
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mattssmattss Posts: 9member
    My macbook just had the lcd replaced at the genius bar. since then when I close the lid it won't go into sleep mode. How do I set it to go into sleep mode when i close the lid? Or is there a sensor that isn't connecting to tell it to go into sleep mode? help!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattss View Post

My macbook just had the lcd replaced at the genius bar. since then when I close the lid it won't go into sleep mode. How do I set it to go into sleep mode when i close the lid? Or is there a sensor that isn't connecting to tell it to go into sleep mode? help!

It's probably the sensor thing or something else hardware related. I doubt they would change something software side while replacing an LCD. I would take it back to the Genius Bar.