Apple LCD Display Questions:

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How do you turn off an Apple 20" Cinema Display without unplugging it? Touchng the power button on the LCD's side prompts the user to shutdown, etc. We have a policy where the Macs cant shutdown so that IT can remote all Macs regardless if a user is logged in or not.



I have users who want to go out of town for an extended time and they want to turn off the monitors, so they dont stay on the Login Window for days on end. The screen saver wont kick on if the Login Winodw is up (and no user is logged in to the local console)



Can a modern Apple LCD get "burn-in" anyway? Should my users even worry about turning off the LCDs?



Thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Huh, I didn't know turning them off still triggered shutdown, are these ADC displays or DVI?



    The best way of doing it is to set the screen to auto-turn off after a few minutes in Energy Saver prefs.



    LCDs are typically less prone to burn-in, but, for example, I can faintly see the Apple menubar burnt into my dad's 17" Studio Display when watching a DVD.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo


    Huh, I didn't know turning them off still triggered shutdown, are these ADC displays or DVI?



    The best way of doing it is to set the screen to auto-turn off after a few minutes in Energy Saver prefs.



    LCDs are typically less prone to burn-in, but, for example, I can faintly see the Apple menubar burnt into my dad's 17" Studio Display when watching a DVD.



    The Energy Saver prefs are specific to a user's session, not a "global" ssystem-wide setting. Thus, when a user is not logged in his/her LCD sleep pref will not apply, because he/she is not logged in.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan


    The Energy Saver prefs are specific to a user's session, not a "global" ssystem-wide setting. Thus, when a user is not logged in his/her LCD sleep pref will not apply, because he/she is not logged in.



    could you create a dummy user with all accesses/priveleges revoked that the client can log into if they are going to be away for a while, so the screen shuts down?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    There's got to be a program somewhere for this.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 532member
    I have a 20 inch Apple Cinema display and the side button only turns the monitor off. In the Displays settings there is an option to have the button put the system to sleep but there is not shutdown option for me.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan


    The Energy Saver prefs are specific to a user's session, not a "global" ssystem-wide setting. Thus, when a user is not logged in his/her LCD sleep pref will not apply, because he/she is not logged in.



    You could leave the user logged in, turn on the screensaver and require a password to get out of the screensaver, then set sleep mode to kick in after the screensaver kicks in. Your system will then start the screensaver then after awhile put the display to sleep. When you come back you will need your password to use it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Go into System Prefernces > Displays > Options and change it to only turn off display.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That only disables the power button, at least on the 17" Studio I've got here.
  • Reply 9 of 12
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,265member
    Then set the preference for ROOT to turn off the screen after 5 minutes of no activity.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Write






    What kind of Cinema do you have, the ADC or DVI?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo


    What kind of Cinema do you have, the ADC or DVI?



    That's exactly what I see and my Cinema Display is DVI
Sign In or Register to comment.