Gossip Central for Nostalgia of the Tenological Revolution

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I'm seeing some reminiscing going on here and there, but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it, so here we go! What are your favorite memories of the technology of yesterday and it's role in your life? What do you remember best about this revolution we are still living through? Do you ever sigh and wish for the good ole days of punch cards and slide rules?

For me, two are: Bongo Bob, and Conan the Librarian (I remember installing that one on all the macs in my High school's computer lab... and then setting one off. heee hee!!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wow. I think we can officially chalk this thread up as a miscarriage. Died before it was ever born.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Shouldn't. It's a good topic.

I'll go way back and fondly remember: text based adventure games ("you are standing outside of a small hut. You are holding matches, a key, and a length of rope.....")

Also, a littler further along, the Video Toaster, running on the Amiga Commodore. FX, switcher, NLE, character generator, all on a cheap little box. It seemed miraculous, back there in the early 90s. Nothing else remotely like it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Punch cards were not that exciting. First 2 computer course I took, 71 & 72, all our outputs were on cards. We had to do everything on paper first, computer time was limited. Syntax errors would ruin your run and even then the projects were nothing compared to what is run today.

As for text based games - A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was great.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Wizardry - Knight of Diamonds on the Apple II.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    What's Conan the Librarian? Anybody got a copy?

I had a shareware copy of Shadow Keep back in the day that only allowed you to save a game five times. I was also only allowed to play a half-hour per day by my parents. But, fear not, I rose to the challenge and beat the game inspite of those restrictions-believe me, it took a lot of precise scientific experimentation, planned exploration of certain areas, etc.

Any one who wants to know the exact spots you have to save to be able to finish the game in five, half-hour sessions, hit me up!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    When I was a kid, I used to go to the local university with my friend to run the punch card stack through their system to try some simple programs. It was so cool that we had access, since his dad was a professor at the university. The college kids were all like... "umm... whaat?", and I was like, "that's right", and they were like, "duuude"...